Galaxy Note 2 users in Thailand recently received the latest Jelly Bean update with due release of Android 4.1.2 XXDMA5 official firmware from Samsung. The firmware is now available as an Over-The-Air (OTA) update as well as over Samsung KIES for download and installation.
However, users who have installed custom ROM or rooted their device, cannot access official updates from Samsung. Such users can now download and install the same manually using this guide.
Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 comes with a powerful hardware configuration: 5.5in Super AMOLED display, a quad-core 1.6GHz Cortex-A9 processor with 2GB of RAM and several other impressive hardware specifications. Hence it is imperative to upgrade an under-powered operating system to the latest official Jelly Bean firmware for optimum device performance.
Android 4.1.2 XXDMA5 Official Firmware Details:
Regions Supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
Key Points to Note
- XXDMA5 official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup important data and settings on the phone and ensure the device has at least 80 percent battery charge.
- Verify that correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy Note 2 on the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 USB drivers.
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- Access to custom ROMs and custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP will be lost after installing the firmware and custom recovery will be replaced with stock recovery.
- The device will no longer have root access after installing the official firmware. Just root the device again to regain full system access before installing third-party root apps or latest system tweaks or custom ROMs.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked in the process of installing the official firmware. Users should proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 to Android 4.1.2 XXDMA5 Official Jelly Bean Firmware
1. Extract the downloaded XXDMA5 firmware zip file to get a .tar file and some other files.
2. Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Switch off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Now, place the Galaxy Note 2 in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together while tapping the Power button. When a "Warning!" message appears on screen, hit Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (check Step 2) as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the firmware flashing process.
6. Now, connect the phone to computer with the USB cable. A message reading "Added!!" appears in Odin's message box at the bottom left of screen. If the message fails to appear, just try another USB port (preferably the one at the back of computer). If all else fails then just reinstall the USB drivers for the phone on computer. When the successful "Added!!" message appears in Odin, proceed to the next step. At this point, the COM port with a number turns Yellow the device is successfully added.
7. Choose the following files in Odin using respective buttons to pull files from extracted N7100XXDMA5 firmware folder :
- Click the PDA Button, and choose the .tar file named 'Code'
- Tap the Phone Button, and choose file named 'Modem' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Hit the CSC Button, and choose file named 'CSC' ( ignore if such file is missing)
- Click the PIT Button, and choose the .pit file. Use the file if it is available while extracting in step 1, otherwise ignore it.
8. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. Now, ensure that Re-Partition option is selected, only if you are using a .pit file in previous step.
9. Verify that everything in Step 7 & Step 8 is done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
10. Once the firmware is flashed completely, the phone will reboot automatically and a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now, just unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Galaxy Note 2 N7100 is now running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean based XXDMA5 official firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
NOTE: If Galaxy Note 2 phone gets stuck at booting animation after Step 10 then boot into recovery mode (press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and then perform Wipe Data/Factory Reset task before tapping Reboot System Now function. In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate and Power key to select an option.
[Source: Android Jinn]