Samsung recently rolled out its latest Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) update, Android 4.1.2 DXAME1, for Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070P users in Singapore. The official firmware is now available for installation via Samsung KIES as well as OTA update in select countries. However, those who missed the OTA update notification or cannot access the official update for some reason can install the same manually by following our step-by-step guide provided below.
Android 4.1.2 DXAME1 Jelly Bean Firmware Details
Date: May, 2013
NOTE: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
- Android 4.1.2 DXAME1 Jelly Bean official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are limited to Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070P model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone including contacts, messages, photos, videos, APNs and other internet settings to avoid data loss if data wipe tasks need to be performed during or after firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070P USB drivers)
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation.
- Verify the phone is both factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and bootloader unlocked to enable seamless firmware installation as well as rooting.
How to Install Android 4.1.2 DXAME1 Jelly Bean OTA Update on Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070P
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 DXAME1 Jelly Bean official firmware for Galaxy S Advance on your computer and extract the zip file to obtain .tar.md5 file along with a few other files.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v3.07 which is needed to install the official firmware on the phone and extract the zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as some other files.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Then boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Now hit the Volume Up button to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer as Administrator, as admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly. Now connect the phone to computer via USB cable while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may take some time. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on your phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Select the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file named '.tar' or '.md5'.
- Choose the 'Phone' checkbox and click the file named 'MODEM' (ignore if there is no such file).
- Select the 'CSC' checkbox and choose the file named 'CSC' (ignore if such file is absent).
- Click the 'PIT' checkbox and select the .pit file (ignore if such file is missing).
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition option must be checked, ONLY if a .PIT file was chosen in the previous step.
Step 8 - Make sure everything in Step 6 and Ste 7 is done correctly. Then hit the Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It should take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the ROM installation is complete, your phone will reboot. Finally, when the home screen appears, just disconnect your phone from computer.
Your Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 is now updated to latest Android 4.1.2 DXAMD1 official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
If the phone gets stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 9, then boot the device into recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now option. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing wipe function will only erase data on phone's internal memory and not the SD card.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]