Galaxy S GT-I9000 can now be updated to Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) via the latest ParanoidAndroid v3.99 ROM, with due credit to XDA Developers senior member, SferaDev. The latest build of ParanoidAndroid ROM brings the tradition of fast and stable Jelly Bean experience with hybrid mode user-interface (UI) support (toggle between tablet and smartphone UI) for Galaxy S.
The ROM also introduces a spate of bug-fixes and feature enhancements such as Halo multitouch enhancements, Halo fixes with flips and fixes to Tab UI crashes for enhanced system performance. Head over to the developer source page (check source link below) to learn more about this ROM.
ParanoidAndroid v3.99 ROM Features
Here is the complete list of bug-fixes and feature enhancements ported into the newly released Android 4.3 based ParanoidAndroid v3.99 ROM:
- ParanoidOTA: fix french strings
- Fixes to Tabui crashes
- Reordered settings
- Halo performance improvements
- Halo fixes with flips
- Halo multitouch improvements
- Fix layout on Incoming Calls for small devices
- Enable custom actions for double-tap home
Key Points to Note
- The ParanoidAndroid v3.99 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of Galaxy S GT-I9000 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device runs Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if device runs Android 2.3 or earlier). If device runs Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to bottom of screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM Recovery.
- If device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for nay device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S GT-I9000 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean via ParanoidAndroid v3.99 ROM
- Download Android 4.3 ParanoidAndroid v3.99 ROM for Galaxy S GT-I9000. Also download Google Apps for your phone on computer
- Connect and mount phone's USB mass storage on computer via USB cable
- Copy downloaded ParanoidAndroid v3.99 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to root folder on phone's SD card
- Power off phone and disconnect USB cable from computer
- Now, boot phone into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons
- Follow onscreen instructions to enter recovery mode
- In ClockworkMod recovery, perform a full data wipe task by choosing Wipe Data / Factory Reset. Note: Skip this step if upgrading from previous build of ParanoidAndroid ROM. Use volume buttons to navigate and Power to select desired option.
- Wait until wipe process completes and then perform Wipe Cache Partition. Let process complete and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache from Advance option. This will prevent ROM-related errors or boot loop issues.
- Once wipe process is done, return to main recovery menu and click Install Zip from SD card
- Then select Choose Zip from SD card. Locate the Android 4.3 ROM zip file copied earlier and select it by tapping Power. Confirm ROM installation on next screen and let the installation begin.
- Note: Repeat previous step for installing Google Apps and choose "No" when recovery asks for disable recovery flash
- After Google Apps is also installed, choose "+++++Go Back+++++" and tap reboot system now in recovery menu. The phone will now reboot automatically and the first boot might take about five minutes to complete.
The Galaxy S GT-I9000 is now running on Android 4.3 based ParanoidAndroid v3.99 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
For further assistance, check out the video tutorial below:
[Source: XDA Developers]