Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G users can now experience the best custom features hand-picked from the popular CyanogenMod ROM, which also blends the attractive MIUI theme into it. The latest iteration of AvatarROM (build 2.15b) offers a host of striking features with an attractive user-interface powered by MIUI theme engine.
The AvatarROM build 2.15b brings several exciting features based on the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware including multi-user support, gesture typing, new quick settings option, lock-screen widget, new camera app, photo sphere, improved Google Now, new daydream feature and miracast display.
Head over to the developer source page to view the complete change-log including latest feature enhancements and bug-fixes added into the newly released AvatarROM Build 2.15b.
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly release based AvatarROM and the instructions provided in this guide are limited to the international variant Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G only. Do not attempt this installation on any other device, as it may inadvertently brick or damage the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup your important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss while performing any data wiping task during or after firmware installation.
- Make sure the correct USB drivers are installed for your device on the computer (download Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times until Developer Options is unlocked or revealed under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure the device is rooted with ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- Verify that the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilize for about five to ten minutes before you start working on it.
- If Status 7 error appears on screen, it could be due to an incompatible device being flashed or a related kernel might be missing. In other words, make sure to install a Jelly Bean kernel first, before installing any Jelly Bean ROM.
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based AvatarROM Build 2.15b on Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G
Step 2: Now, connect and mount your phone's SD card on computer via USB cable.
Step 3: Without extracting, copy downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of your phone's SD card.
Step 4: Once the file transfer process completes, Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5: Boot the phone into ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the screen flashes, and then release all three buttons. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
Step 6: Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to original ROM. To take a backup, choose Backup and Restore and then hit Backup on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is complete.
Step 7: Do a full data wiping task to eliminate conflicts between newly installed ROM and previous ROM. To do so, first click Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery main menu and choose Wipe Cache Partition. Wait until the process completes and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Once the entire data wiping task completes, proceed to the next step.
Step 8: Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Now, browse to the AvatarROM zip file that you copied earlier in Step 3 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and soon the installation process will begin.
Step 9: After the ROM installation is complete, repeat step 8 but choose gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip instead of ROM zip file to install Google apps.
Step 10: Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now. The phone will now boot into the newly installed ROM. But, the first boot may take about 5 to 15 minutes to complete. So, please be patient and do not interrupt the process.
Returning to Previous ROM: To return to your previous ROM: boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by choosing it from the list.
Congratulations! Your Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G is now running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based AvatarROM Build 2.15b. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: Droid Noobs]