Galaxy S3 I9300 is among the lucky few Android smartphones to receive a flurry of custom ROM Jelly Bean updates in recent times. Though most of them focus on interface looks, removal of bloatware and inclusion of minor UI tweaks, the CodecROM S.E ROM goes a step ahead with one-of-its-kind: speed, stability and performance update for Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 I9300.
Thanks to XDA Developers member, Darkside Agent's CodecROM S.E ROM, the Galaxy S3 gets a host of exciting features such as BusyBox, CWMManager, an extended Power menu, a modded silent camera and a quicker GPS fix. Besides, the ROM ports ad-blocking feature that is blended with system tweaks to enable your phone run faster and smoother. The custom ROM is also deodexed, zipaligned and rooted with CF SuperSU 0.96 to give you the best Android experience yet on Samsung's flagship smartphone.
Music lovers can relish a special treat - the ability to use Volume rockers to skip songs - when the phone is locked. That's one handy feature to switch between your favourite songs that match your mood.
The complete list of features supported by CodecROM S.E is given below:
- Rooted (CF SuperSU 0.96)
- Call Record
- No SMS In Logs
- Disabled Scrolling Cache
- Extended Power Menu
- Aroma Installer (Custom Install) - Updated Aroma Installer to 2.56
- Modded Camera
- Build Prop Tweaks
- Faster GPS Fix
- 840mb rom
- 15 Toggles
- Silent Camera
- Disabled Increasing Ringtone In Phone
- Ad Blocking
- Removed Multiple Tones (low battery, usb connection etc)
- Centered clock on statusbar
- Some system tweaks (Faster & Smoother)
- Full GPU Acceleration in UI
- Long Press Volume Buttons to skip songs when screen locked
- Hacked AOSP email - removed keyguard restrictions/policies etc
- Moved kiesexe to aroma installer - battery saver
- Enabled emoji's on AOSP Mms.apk
- Fully fixed Aroma script
- EFS Folder is now backed up during flash
- Resized app drawer icon in all launchers
- New audio tones for ui/ringtones/notifications/alarms
- Improved scrolling smoothness
- Improved overall responsiveness
- Some system tweaks and apps removed for battery
- Better wifi tweaks, streaming, deep sleep
- Re-written some existing mods
- Improved APN List
- init.d Support
- More Free RAM
- Battery Bar
- Brightness fix
- Low battery and full battery notifications removed
- OTA download for new ROMS & mods
Key Points to Note
- The CodecROM S.E ROM and the instructions given in this article are applicable for the international version Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important personal data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the Jelly Bean update.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the CodecROM S.E firmware update. Users are cautioned to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that your Galaxy S3 smartphone is rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on it.
- Download the XXDLJ2 based CodecROM S.E ROM to your computer.
- Verify that your phone's battery is at least 85 percent charged to avoid unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the ROMOW Extreme ROM or installing the mods and updates.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Application > Development. This feature helps in connecting your Android phone with the computer.
How to Install CodecROM S.E ROM Based Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S3 I9300
Step 1: Copy the CodecROM S.E ROM zip file you downloaded to the root folder on your Galaxy S3′s internal SD card.
Step 2: Power off your phone.
Step 3: Now, boot your phone into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 4: Do a NANDroid Backup by clicking Backup and Restore and then hitting Backup.
Step 5: Tap Wipe Data/Factory Reset and click yes to confirm on next screen.
Step 6: Hit Install ZIP from SD card.
Step 7: Click Choose ZIP from SD card, and browse and select the CodecROM file that you copied to your phone's SD card. Double tap on the ROM zip-file to begin its installation.
Step 8: Select your options in AROMA Installer.
Step 9: Wait until the ROM is installed.
Step 10: Finally, reboot your device.
[Source: Android Authority]