Samsung has just started rolling out the first Android 5.1.1 firmware with build number G920FXXU2BOFJ via over-the-air (OTA), for the unlocked European variant of the Galaxy S6 (SM-G920F) in France, while the rest of the European countries still await the update in their country.
As the OTA update is being rolled out in phases, it may take some time before the official firmware becomes available in all countries across Europe.
However, those who cannot wait for the official firmware release in their country can download and install the same manually, using the step-by-step guide provided below.
Android 5.1.1 G920FXXU2BOFJ firmware details
Key Points to Remember
- Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers for Galaxy S6 on the computer.
- Create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery, before following the installation guide.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- Ensure your S6 has at least 80% battery. The device might shut down during the process due to lack of battery, which in turn could brick the device.
- You should have an unlocked Galaxy S6 SM-G920F model.
- The phone will lose custom ROM once the stock update is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The Lollipop stock firmware build works with Galaxy S6 G920FXXU2BOFJ only. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and then install firmware based on the model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware on Galaxy S6 SM-G920F
Step 1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool
Step 2: Extract the Odin zip
Step 3: Switch off your Galaxy S6
Step 4: Enter into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step 5: Launch Odin as Administrator on the computer. Click on the Odin tool and then right-click and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step 6: Connect the S6 to the PC using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step 7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file extracted in step-1
Step 8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Also, Re-Partition checkbox should be unticked
Step 9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin
Step 10: The installation should start now. It would take a few minutes to complete the installation. Once the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When you see the home screen on the phone, unplug the USB cable from the phone safely
Head over to Settings>> About phone to check the new build version of your Galaxy S6.