Samsung's Galaxy W I8150 gets yet another custom Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update, thanks to the Revamped ROM unleashed by the industrious Android developers in quick time. Earlier, we saw the release of AOKP based ICS update for the same model.
Key Points to Note
- The Revamped ROM and the instructions given in the guide are applicable only for the Galaxy W I8150 model and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings (including bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other internet settings), to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.0.4 ICS update.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Revamped ROM based ICS update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed on your Galaxy phone to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy W I8150 USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer options. This option aids connectivity of your Android phone with the computer.
- Make sure that your phone's battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while flashing the ROMs or installing the ICS update. Be advised, as such an incident could render your phone permanently dead.
- Verify that your phone's bootloader is factory unlocked and ClockworkMod recovery installed on it.
How to Install Revamped ROM Based Android 4.0.4 ICS Update on Galaxy W I8150
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0.4 Revamped ROM for your Galaxy W I8150 on your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy phone's USB mass storage on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Transfer the Revamped ROM directory to your SD card (in ClockworkMod backups folder).
Step 4 - Power off your phone and then power on the phone to boot into recovery mode using a button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the device boots into recovery.
Step 5 - Choose Bootloader and boot into ClockworkMod recovery by following the navigational instructions on screen.
Step 6 - In ClockworkMod recovery, tap wipe data first. Then browse and locate the backup and restore option. Finally, hit the Power button to choose the option.
Step 7 - Hit the Power button again and tap restore.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to the Revamped ROM folder and select it using the Power button. Now, confirm the restore process on next screen and then the restoration process should begin.
Step 9 - Once the phone is restored, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone will restart now and it may take about 5 minutes for the first boot. So, please leave it alone.
Revamped ROM based Android 4.0.4 ICS update is now successfully installed on your Galaxy W I8150. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]