An AOKP Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) ROM for the global version of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (model number i9250) has been released. The Jelly Bean update was rolled out in July but there issues reported with the functioning of the Global Positioning System (GPS). This fix will, it is believed, repair that problem.
The Android 4.1 software brings several improvements, including a revamped and smoother User Interface (UI) thanks to Project Butter, a better notifications system and home screen management, as well as improved voice search, text input with offline voice typing, an improved camera app and enhanced Android Beam capability. Google claims Jelly Bean makes everything feel faster, smoother and more fluid.
Galaxy Nexus users looking to update their device with this latest ROM can follow the below steps. IBTimes UK advises users this ROM only works with Nexus model number i9250. IBTimes UK also recommends users make a back-up of important data and APN settings.
- Unlock bootloader on Galaxy Nexus. To do so, follow instructions located here
- Choose to install either TWRP Recovery or ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery
- Download AOKP ROM and Google Apps package. Copy files to device's SD card
- Turn off device and boot into TWRP/CWM Recovery (to do so, simultaneously press the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons and select options to enter Recovery mode)
- Back-up existing ROM (to do so, click on Back-up in Recovery mode)
- Wipe data on device by selecting Wipe > Factory Reset. Confirm data wipe and return to main menu
- Navigate to SD card where downloaded files are copied and begin installation of ROM
- Once ROM is installed, return to SD card and select the Google Apps package
- After Apps package installs, reboot device to boot into AOKP ROM
- Congratulations... your Galaxy Nexus is now running Android 4.1 with updated AOKP ROM