We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Galaxy Note N7000 users can now enjoy a fast, stable and bloatware-free experience on their handset, thanks to the release of SlimBean Build 3 ROM. The lightweight custom ROM is based on the latest Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) firmware, which brings a host of custom nhancements onboard, such as Smart Control to Gallery, Expanded Desktop Tile, New SuperUser, Lock Volume keys in Silent mode, LED Notification to Calendar events as well as full Russian and German translations.
Head over to the developer source page to view more features and bug-fixes supported by the latest SlimBean ROM.
Key Points to Note
- SlimBean Build 3 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the Galaxy Note N7000 model only. Verify the device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Backup data and settings on the phone via a recommended custom recovery tool such as CWM or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify that correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy Note N7000 USB drivers).
- Double check to see that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden the Developer Options under Settings. Now, you can enable USB Debugging mode by selecting the appropriate checkbox.
- Make sure that the device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition followed by Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Note N7000 via SlimBean Build 3 ROM
1. Connect the phone to computer with USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
3. Disconnect the USB cable and Power off the phone.
4. Then boot the device into ClockworkMod recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears (release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again). The device enters CWM Recovery mode. Note: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and then hit Backup on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Do a full data wipe task as follows: Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery main menu and perform Wipe Cache Partition. Wait until the process is done, then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
7. Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Now, navigate to the Slim Bean Build 3 ROM ZIP file that you copied earlier to the phone in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. After the ROM installation completes, repeat the previous step (step 7), but choose the Slim Bean GApps zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
9. Once Google Apps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now. The phone will now reboot into the newly installed Slim Bean Build 3 custom ROM. The first boot may be time-consuming and take about five minutes. So, please be patient.
Restoring to Previous ROM
To return to your previous ROM, boot into recovery and choose Backup and Restore. Then restore the original ROM by choosing it from the list.
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based SlimBean Build 3 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Android Jinn]