Galaxy S I9000 users can now enjoy a stable, custom release of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update via Slim Bean Build 2 ROM. The Slim ROMs developers have introduced a plethora of new features and bug-fixes for the previous build to deliver the ultimate Android experience.
Here is the complete list of features ported to the newly released Android 4.2.2 Slim Bean ROM custom firmware:
- TheRealDarkSlim Toggle (Initial)
- Shiny new SlimSizer
- Renamed SlimOTA to SlimCenter
- SlimFilemanager: Added root functionality
- Extended QuickSettings style options (tiles per row, press/bg color, etc)
- New Notification/Lockscreen Shortcut icons
- Configurable QS long press
- Update DashClock to latest version
- Configurable Notification behaviour
- NFC Polling Mode (AOKP)
- LockscreenPattern: Toggle dots/error pattern visibility (from CM)
- New Notification/Lockscreen Shortcut icons
- Added Power/Camera to Lockscreen longpress button actions
- Add USB Tether tile
- Add LTE tile
- Advanced lowbatteryindicator options (popup/sound/notification)
- Return to call log after call
- Mark dismissed call as missed
- Automatic keyboard rotation feature
- Fullscreen toggle added to browser menu
- Add Signature to Messaging
- Customise chargingbatterycolor
- Added more scenes & focus modes to camera
- Added exposure and jpeg quality to video camera
- NavBar back/menu firing after longpress actions
- NavBar "kill app" action killing system apps and crashing system
- A2DP streaming sound quality fixes
- HighEndFX properly hidden on devices with native support
- HTML5 audio playback
- BT tethering label
- Fix hide HighEndFX option for devices with native support
- Landscape lock before unlock has a small visual glitch
NOTE: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Slim Bean Build 2 ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the international variant Galaxy S I9000 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S I9000 USB drivers)
- Back up important data and settings on the phone
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabledon the device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Double check to see that the device is rooted with ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed on it. Root Checker app may be downloaded and installed on the phone to verify if root access is working correctly, before proceeding with the custom ROM installation.
How to Update Galaxy S I9000 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with Stable Slim Bean Build 2 ROM
- Download Android 4.2.2 Slim Bean Build 2 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the computer and extract them to the desktop.
- Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
- Turn off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
- Boot it into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Home button while powering on the phone.
- In CWM recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then browse to Flash Zip from SD card option and hit the Power button to select it.
- Click Choose Zip from SD card. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate to Slim Bean Build 2 ROM zip file and Power button to select it.
- The ROM installation will begin. Choose Yes on next screen to confirm installation.
- Repeat the previous two steps, but choose Google Apps zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google Apps package.
- Click "+++++Go Back" and hit Reboot System Now. The device will automatically reboot to the newly installed firmware.
Galaxy S I9000 is now successfully updated to the latest Android 4.2.2 Slim Bean custom ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.