Galaxy S I9000 users are in for a special treat, as Android 4.1.2 X-Bean ROM brings a fast, stable and feature-rich Jelly Bean update to the device. In other words, the X-Bean ROM reportedly features the speed and purity of Android Open Source Project (AOSP) along with the superior functionality of CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) custom ROM.
Android 4.1.2 X-Bean Jelly Bean ROM Details
Here is the complete list of latest Jelly Bean features ported with Android 4.1.2 X-Bean ROM.
- mix of AOSP/CM10 (speed and purity of AOSP with functionality of CM10)
- build.prop tweaks
- CM10 options in settings
- X-Recents (added: TaskManager Button, Kill All Button for currently running App in Recent, swiped out Apps close automatically and release their memory)
- Semaphore Kernel manager
- new CWM Script
- Nexus boot-animation
- Stock theme
- CM features added from CM10 repo (state 11.10.2012)
- Solid Explorer added
- 224MB size
- init.d tweaks
- Tweaked CM10 hardware acceleration (even smoother)
- GApps included
- working mount of external SD to PC
- latest Semaphore Kernel (2.3.0)
- Extremely fast and rock-solid
Key Points to Note
- X-Bean ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the international variant - Galaxy S I9000 model only. It will not work with any other device. Verify device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure data backup. Avoid using either Samsung KIES or ROM manager for data backup, as it might permanently damage or brick the device.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed on the computer. Download Galaxy S I9000 USB drivers.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later). Otherwise, go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure 85 percent battery charge
- Ensure that the device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed
- Perform a Dalvik Cache Wipe before continuing from Recovery mode
- Samsung KIES will not recognise the phone after installing the X-Bean Jelly Bean ROM, as it is a custom release
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not support any warranty claims involving device damage. Users should proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.1.2 X-Bean Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S I9000
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 X-Bean Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy S on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S USB mass storage on the computer with original USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded Android 4.1.2 X-Bean ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable.
Step 5 - Now, boot into CWM Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - In CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe first. Then navigate to Flash zip from SD card option and hit Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Tap the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to the Android 4.1.2 ROM zip file copied to SD card in step 3. Now, select it by tapping the Power button. Confirm ROM installation on next screen and the installation should begin..
Step 9 - Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by tapping Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. Since, this is the first reboot after installation, it might take about 5 minutes to complete.
Android 4.1.2 based X-Bean Jelly Bean ROM is now successfully installed on the device, Galaxy S I9000. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]