Samsung has rolled out its latest Jelly Bean official firmware, Android 4.1.2 ZSMSA, for Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 in September. Though there is no word on the official release of latest Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) firmware from Samsung, it is always advisable to update your device to the latest available firmware to enjoy up to date feature enhancements and bug-fixes for the software.
The latest official firmware is currently available for download as an Over-The-Air (OTA) update as well as via Samsung KIES in several countries. However, those who missed the OTA update notification and those who cannot wait for the official release in their country can install the same manually, using our step-by-step guide.
NOTE: As this is an unbranded firmware,it can be installed on any carrier unlocked Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 regardless of country or region.
The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The I9100ZSMSA official firmware and instructions provided are limited to Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 model. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settingsusing recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as data wiping process is mandatory in this tutorial.
- Download and install correct USB drivers for Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 on computer.
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on phone by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development or Settings > Developer Options.
- Double-check the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiences boot loop issues,Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before using device.
- If a Status 7 error message flashes while installing firmware, it could be due to an incompatible device or absence of a necessary kernel (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
- As ODIN is exclusively built for Windows OS, Linux (Ubuntu) and Mac OS users should use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN on their computer.
How to Manually Update Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 to Android 4.1.2 ZSMSA Official Firmware via Odin
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to obtain a .tar.md5 file.
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction android robot icon appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you extracted in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy S2 to computer via USB cable, while the device is still in Download mode. When the device connects successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow or blue with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the tablet's USB drivers or changing the port on computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted I9100ZSMSA firmware folder obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the '.tar.md5'file
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must not be selected or checked.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit START button to begin flashing firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with a green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Wait until the home screen loads up. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
The Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 is now running on the latest Android 4.1.2 ZSMSA official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
Click here to read about how to root Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 running on official Android 4.1.2 ZSMSA OTA firmware.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]