Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 users can now enjoy a smooth and rock stable Jelly Bean experience on their phones, thanks to the release of Android 4.2.2 Liquidsmooth v2.6 custom ROM. The ROM is based on original Android Open Source Project (AOSP), which blends the best custom features taken from popular custom ROMs such as Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) and CyanogenMod (CM).
Some of the noteworthy features ported into this ROM include: Chronus clock widget, customisable NavBar, navigation bar widget, status bar mods, theme engine, volume rocker music controls, and support for customising the software and hardware buttons.
Android 4.2.2 Liquidsmooth v2.6 ROM Features
- Google GCC 4.7 Toolchain
- -O3 Strict-Aliasing (Linaro)
- C++11 Mode
- Optimized String Handling Routines (Linaro/Sony)
- Misc other Linaro and Code Aurora Optimaztions
- Customizable lockscreen buttons and sliders
- Chronus clock widget
- Customizable hardware and software keys
- Transparent navbar and status bar
- Customizable navbar ring
- Navigation bar widgets
- Customizable power menu
- Notification power widget
- Customizable quicksettings panel
- Statusbar mods
- Theme engine
- Quiet hours
- Volume rocker music controls
- Full Rotation
- Customizable battery and notification light
Head over to the developer source page for more information on the Liquidsmooth v2.6 ROM.
Key Points to Note
- Liquidsmooth v2.6 ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are limited to the international variant Galaxy S2 with model number GT-I9100 only. Do not attempt this installation on any other device, as it may inadvertently brick or damage the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup your important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss while performing any data wiping task during or after firmware installation.
- Make sure the correct USB drivers are installed for your phone on the computer (download Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times until Developer Options is unlocked or revealed under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure the device is rooted with ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- Verify that the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based Liquidsmooth v2.6 ROM on Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
- Mount your phone's SD card on computer via USB cable. Copy the downloaded zip files from computer to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
- Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
- Boot the device into CWM recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons simultaneously.
- In CWM recovery, take a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM by choosing Backup and Restore option from the custom recovery main menu.
- Now perform a full data wipe operation. To do so, click wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action. Then perform Wipe Cache Partition followed by Wipe Dalvik Cache from Advance option.
- Then select Install Zip from SD card and click Choose Zip from SD card. Browse and select the LiquidSmooth (v2.6) Android 4.2.2 jelly bean zip file by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen.
- Wait until the ROM installation completes and then repeat the above step for installing Google Apps.
- Once Google Apps is also installed, return to main recovery menu and reboot the Galaxy S2 phone by tapping reboot system now.
You have now successfully installed Android 4.2.2 based LiquidSmooth (v2.6) Jelly Bean ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. Go to Settings > About Phone to confirm the firmware installed.