Samsung recently rolled out the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software update with base firmware UHMS8 for the international version of Galaxy S2 with model number GT-I9100 in several countries including Argentina. Users can find the update through the Samsung KIES server. The latest official release is completely an unbranded version of firmware and can be downloaded on any GT-I9100 unit.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Built date: May, 2013
Galaxy S2 users, who have already installed UHMS8 Jelly Bean on their devices, may follow our step-by-step guide below to root the same. The tutorial uses Siyah kernel root file released by recognised XDA developer, gokhanmoral. Along with rooting, the Siyah kernel also installs ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on the phone. Head over to the development page to learn about the root package.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The battery of the phone should have above 80% charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The manufacturer's warranty will be void once the phone is rooted. However, users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting the phone later. Click here for step-by-step guide to unroot Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to stock official firmware.
7) The root kernel used in the guide works only on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100, flashing this on any other variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About Phone>> Model number.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 on Android 4.1.2 UHMS8 Jelly Bean
Step-1: Download root kernel for Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer
File name: Siyah-s2-v6.0b4.tar
Step-2: Download Odin v1.85 which will help to root Jelly Bean firmware on the phone
Step-3: Switch off the Galaxy S2. Now place the phone in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together and then press the Power button until the construction Android robot and a triangle appears. Now press the Power button again to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-4: Run Odin on the computer
Step-5: Connect the phone to the computer Using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with COM port number. Also, an Added message will appear in Odin indicating successful connection. This step is likely to take some time
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try another the USB port at the back of the computer. If that too does not work, then re-install the USB driver.
Step-6: In Odin, click on PDA button and select the Siyah-s2-v6.0b4.tar file
Step-7: Ensure the Auto Reboot and F.eset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin. But uncheck the Re-Partition option
Step-8: Double check everything and finally click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take about few minutes to complete
Step-9: Once the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When the home screen appears, unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 running on Android 4.1.2 UHMS8 Jelly Bean should be now rooted successfully. Open the app drawer of the phone and check for an app called Superuser from the list. Also, to verify the root status install Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
[Source: Team Android]