Galaxy S2 GT I9100 users are in for a special Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) treat, with due credit to Joel Droid for ICS custom ROM firmware. The new ICS firmware is built with features found on the Galaxy Note 2 and LG Nexus 4. The custom ROM includes a new enhanced UI (user interface) and EXT4 based file system that can effectively improve the speed and performance of the phone.
Here is the complete change-log of Joel Droid ROM Features:
- Base updated to UHLPZ (amazingly stable & battery friendly)
- Note 2 Video Player
- Note 2 Paper Artist
- Beats audio mod
- Hold back to kill
- S3 icon pack
- Reverted back to Lidroid customizable 15 toggles (S3 themed)
- Reverted to normal multi DPI Google Play Store v3.9.17
- Better memory management
Key Points to Note
- The Android 4.0.4 Joel Droid ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable only to the international variant Galaxy S2 GT I9100 model and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Users are advised to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid risk of data loss while flashing the Joel Droid ROM on their phones. Be advised that Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after installing the Joel Droid custom ROM on your Galaxy S2. Hence, it is recommended to back up your data manually using the steps provided in this guide.
- Download the Root Checker app from Google Play Store to ascertain if your device is actually rooted or not.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development and check the USB debugging option.
- Verify that your phone battery is at least 85 percent charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the Android 4.0.4 ICS update on your phone.
- Make sure that your phone is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) preinstalled on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Joel Droid ROM Based Android 4.0.4 Note 2 ICS Apps on Galaxy S2 GT I9100
- Download the Joel Droid Custom ROM Firmware Package from here to your computer. After the ROM is downloaded, connect your phone to the computer using an USB cable. Then copy the ROM zip file to the root folder of your phone's internal SD card.
- Download ROM Manager app from Google PLAY Store and flash the Recovery image in your Galaxy S2. After flashing the backup image, choose enter device in recovery mode. Alternatively, your phone can be booted into recovery mode manually with the button sequence given below.
- Press and hold the Volume Up and Home key buttons (the middle button) together and simultaneously tap the Power button for powering the device ON and enter into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, choose Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe Cache partition options. Then, hit advanced and wipe the Dalvik cache too if you are updating over another custom ROM firmware.
- Choose install zip from SD Card and locate all the zip files that you copied to your Galaxy S2 device in step 1. Select the copied Joel Droid Custom ROM Firmware package to initiate the process of firmware update.
- After the firmware update completes, click Reboot System Now to reboot your phone in normal mode. The first boot may take about 4 to 5 minutes to complete, as it needs to finalize all the apps in the device.
Note: In case the device fails to boot or display the home screen then remove the battery and reinsert it to boot the device again in normal mode.
Joel Droid ROM Based Android 4.0.4 ICS update with Note 2 apps is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S2 GT I9100. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Android Advices]