We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
There is more good news for Galaxy S2 I9100 users, as they can now enjoy yet another Android 4.2.2 custom Jelly Bean update via SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM. The custom ROM brings pure (stock) Android experience with Nexus-styled user interface (UI) on Galaxy S2, with due credit to the industrious XDA recognised developer - Faryaab.
SuperNexus 2.0 ROM reportedly brings smooth UI performance with Vanilla Android experience similar to Google's Nexus devices. The ROM is completely built out of Google's AOSP Source with a host of feature enhancements and performance optimisations. In addition, it comes without any unnecessary third-party apps (zero bloatware) to give the user a unique Android experience.
Android 4.2.2 SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 Custom ROM Details
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (JOP40D - Android-4.2.2_r1)
- Latest CM Kernel
- All Jelly Bean Features and Apps (Nothing excluded from AOSP)
- No Visual Changes!
- StockJelly Bean Look and Feel
New Features of Super
- Fully Deodexed
- Zipaligned APKs
- Rooted (Super SU)
- BusyBox Installed
- No 3rd Party App
- ZERO Bloatware
- AndroidSource Codevastly improved and optimized (i.e. Bionic, Dalvik, Webkit, Framework, libcore, SQlite etc)
- Official Jelly Bean Bootanimation (From Official Galaxy Nexus Android 4.2.1 Factory Image)
- Init.d Support
- Rsync Support
- UserInit Support
- Bash & Nano Support
- Native SIP/VOIP Support
- OpenSSH Support (ssh, sshd, scp, stfp)
- HSPA+ Support
- OpenVPN Support
- EXT4 File System Optimizations
- Galaxy S3 Device Settings As An App
- Large APN & SPN List
- Options for switching between USB Mass Storage and MTP/PTP (On Specific Devices)
Key Points to Note
- SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible with the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100 model only. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure that the phone is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S2 on the computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers)
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the phone is running Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Application > Development (if the device is running Android 2.3 or earlier)
- Backup important data and settings on the phone including personal data such as SMS, MMS, contacts, bookmarks, internet Settings, photos and videos etc.
- The phone should have at least 50 per cent battery charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown during the ROM installation.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage. Users should proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100 with SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM
Method 1: For Users Upgrading from Custom ROM except Safe Philz Kernel
1. Connect the phone to computer using its original micro USB cable
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded SuperNexus 2.0 ROM.zip file to the root folder on the phone's internal SD card.
3. Switch off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
4. Press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home button together to boot the device into CWM/TWRP Recovery.
5. In Recovery menu, perform a full Data Wipe or Factory Reset to avoid crashing and ROM compatibility issues. Just skip this step, if the device is being upgraded from the previous SuperNexus ROM version. NOTE: Use volume keys to navigate and Power key to select an option in CWM Recovery mode or if running TWRP, then use touchscreen to navigate in Recovery mode.
6. Choose Wipe Cache Parition from the Recovery menu and hit Yes to confirm.
7. In the main Recovery menu, choose Install zip from SDcard and click Choose zip from SDcard. Now, browse and select the SuperNexus 2.0 ROM zip file that was copied earlier to the phone in step 2 and hit Yes to install.
8. Return to main menu in Recovery and repeat step 7, but choose Google Apps file instead of ROM zip to install Google Apps package.
9. Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, return to Recovery's main menu and tap on Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into the newly installed firmware.
10. The first boot up may take some time. So, leave it alone.
Method 2: For Users Upgrading from Stock or Official ROM
1. Root the device and ensure CWM or TWRP recovery is installed.
2. Download Root Checker app from Google Play Store to verify the device's root status.
3. Press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home button together to enter Recovery mode or ClockworkMod Recovery and check if the recovery software is installed correctly.
4. Connect the phone to computer with micro USB cable.
5. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM.zip file to the phone's internal SD card.
6. Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
7. Now, once again press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home button together to boot the device into CWM or TWRP Recovery.
8. In Recovery menu, do a full Wipe Data/Factory Reset to avoid crashes and ROM compatibility issues. Just skip this step if upgrading from earlier version of the same ROM. NOTE: If running CWM Recovery, use Volume keys to navigate and Power key to select an option in Recovery mode. Otherwise for TWRP, use touchscreen to navigate or select an option in Recovery mode.
9. Perform Wipe Cache partition from the recovery menu and hit Yes to confirm.
10. In Recovery, choose Install Zip from SDcard and click Choose Zip from SDcard. Then browse and select the ROM zip file from the downloaded folder location and click Yes to install.
11. Return to the Recovery main menu and repeat Step 7. But, choose the Google Apps file instead of ROM zip and click Yes to install Google Apps as well.
12. Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, return to the main menu in Recovery and hit Reboot System Now.
13. The phone will now reboot automatically and the first boot up may take some time (about five minutes). So, leave it alone.
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 is now updated to the latest Android 4.2.2 SuperNexus 2.0 Build 3 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: The Android ROM]