Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 users can now enjoy the original SlimROMs features: The Real Dark Slim, Notification drawer shortcuts, Full hardware key binding, Keyboard rotation and SlimCenter along with a host of improved Google apps, thanks to the release of SlimBean Build 5.5 ROM from the SlimROMs team.
In addition, the SlimBean Build 5.5 ROM offers a plethora of bug-fixes and system tweaks over its previous build. Check out tthe prominent feature enhancements and bug-fixes ported into this ROM:
- Fix Tasker permission issues
- enable battery LED on mako and tuna devices
- ability to add settings button on notification drawer
- tuna: updated lean kernel
- Fix install SlimBean without gapps is now possible
- Fix VoiceDialer
- Mako: huge kernel updates see gitHub
- qcom display updates (should fix HDMI + SLIMPORT)
- xxhdpi optimizations
- Optimized trigger detection SlimPie
- Fix 'Emergency call' layering issue [was hidden under the slide]
- Massive update to Notification lights module
- Massive updates to recovery
- Optimizations to SlimPIE
- SGS2/Note2: mali driver updates
- Fix NavBar recreate on theme apply
- Add ISO Support to Camera
- I9100G : Added fast charge support [tile/toggle]
- Fixed home/qs button missing on flash without gapps
- Fixed unicode stripping in Mms
- Updated Nova
- Added settings button to notification drawer
- Fixed Unicode stripping
- Fixed Voice Dialer
IBTimes UK brings you a step-by-step guide to install the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update on your Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 via SlimBean Build 5.5 ROM.
Head over to the developer source page to read more about feature enhancements and bug-fixes added into this ROM.
Key Points to Note
- The SlimBean Build 5.5 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Back up data and settings via a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP; it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer [download Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 USB drivers]
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device runs Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if device runs Android 2.3 or earlier). If device runs Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to bottom of screen and select Build Number
- Tap phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options
- Make sure phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM
- Ensure device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM Recovery
- If device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based SlimBean Build 5.5 ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100G
1. Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card
3. Switch off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer
4. Press and hold Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Then release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again to boot the device into CWM recovery. Note: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of the current ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and then click Backup on the next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Perform a full data wipe task as follows: choose Wipe Data/Factory Resetthen click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery main menu and click Wipe Cache Partition and then wait until process is complete. Finally, choose Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
7. Choose Install zip from SD card and then click Choose zip from SD card. Now, browse to the Slim Bean Build 5.5 ROM ZIP file that you copied earlier to your phone in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on the next screen and the installation will begin.
8. Once the ROM is installed, repeat the step 7. But, choose the Slim Bean Gapps zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
9. Once Google Apps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit reboot system now to reboot the phone into the newly installed Slim Bean Build 5.5 ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, please be patient.
10. Returning to Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your original ROM by selecting it from the list.
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based Slim Bean Build 5.5 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: XDA Developers]