Over the last few days, Galaxy S3 I9300 users have been kept busy with a spate of official Jelly Bean ROM releases. Until now there were hardly any custom ROM releases other than the AOKP version for Galaxy S3. With due credit to industrious Android developers, yet another custom ROM Jelly Bean firmware, Vanilla RootBox, has been released for Galaxy S3 users.
The Vanilla RootBox ROM is based on RootBox sources and comes in a lightweight package with no bloatware or useless apps crammed into it. As Team Android notes, it enables users to relish a pure Android experience combined with AOKP features, Paranoid features and CM cherry-picks.
Galaxy S3 users should, however, note that the RootBox ROM may harbour a few untested bugs, as the latest version of Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.2) update is still under development. On the flip side, the RootBox ROMs are reportedly the most stable custom releases and ideal for everyday use.
Android 4.1.2 Vanilla RootBox Jelly Bean ROM Features
- Based on JB 4.1.2 - Built from RootBox Sources (CM & AOKP)
- ExTweaks integrated in Settings - if ExTweaks installed in /system/app
- RootBox Settings
- AOKP Features (Rom Control)
- HSPA+ Support
- A2DP Support
- Lockscreen vibration option
- Hardware keys remapping
- Expanded Desktop (Hide NavBar & Statusbar)
- Alarm icon toggle
- Lockscreen clock alignment (Left, Center, Right)
- Statusbar Transparency
- Evilisto 4x lockscreen
- Cherry picked fixes from CM
- OTA Update
- Init.d Support
- T9 Dialer
- Paranoid Settings (UI: Tablet, Phablet, Hybrid - Per App DPI)
Disclaimer: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the custom firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The Vanilla RootBox ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable only to the international version - Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 model - and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer options and check the USB debugging option.
- Make sure that your phone's battery is at least 85 percent charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the Vanilla RootBox ROM on your Galaxy S3.
- Users are advised to backup their apps, important personal data and settings (including contacts, bookmarks, SMS, MMS, Wi-Fi passwords, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update.
- Ensure that your phone is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it before proceeding with the ROM installation steps.
- Uninstall all antivirus and security suites from your phone, as it could interrupt the update process.
- Make sure that you have an external SD card with at least 1GB of free space in order to copy the custom ROM firmware package into it.
How to Install Android 4.1.2 Vanilla RootBox Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S3 I9300
- Copy the downloaded Vanilla Rootbox ROM and GApps package zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
- Power off your phone and enable it to boot into CWM Recovery. To do so, press and hold down the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the phone enters Recovery mode.
NOTE: In CWM Recovery, use Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an item or option.
- Take a NANDroid Backup of your existing ROM. To do so, browse to Backup and Restore and hit Backup on the next screen. Wait until the backup process completes.
- Click Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on next screen.
- Navigate to Mounts and Storage and hit Format/system
- Return to main menu and select Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card.
- Browse and select the Vanilla RootBox ROM file that you copied to your phone. Then confirm its installation on next screen.
- After the ROM is installed, flash the GApps package the same way by repeating the previous steps (steps 6 and 7).
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on next screen.
- Return to main menu and hit Advanced. Then, click Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on next screen.
- Go back to main menu and tap Reboot System Now to restart your phone. The first boot may take about 5 to 7 minutes. So, leave it alone.
Android 4.1.2 Vanilla RootBox Jelly Bean ROM is now successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Android Authority]