Samsung has rolled out its latest Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) update via Android 4.2.2 XXUBMGA base firmware for Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 (Snapdragon 600) in Germany, Spain and Nordic countries. The new OTA update is a follow-up release to the recently rolled out Android 4.2.2 XXUBMG5 official firmware and will soon be available in European countries. The official firmware is also available for download via Samsung KIES.
However, those who missed the official OTA update notification and those who cannot access the update over Samsung KIES or wait for its official release in their country, may follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually.
Android 4.2.2 I9505XXUBMGA Firmware Details
Version: Android 4.2.2
Build date: Jul 11, 2013
Regions Supported: Germany, Spain and Nordic countries
- Download and install the correct USB drivers for Snapdragon 600 variant of Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) on computer
- Android 4.2.2 I9505XXUBMGA OTA update is compatible with Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 model only. Attempting to install the firmware on any other variant may brick or permanently damage the device. Verify your device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on your phone before proceeding with firmware installation
- Ensure that your phone is factory unlocked (not locked to any particular carrier)
- Make sure the phone's battery is at least 80% charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation
- Enable USB Debugging modeon the device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is running on Android 4.2, then do the following:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings and then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- ODIN is designed to work in Windows OS only. Linux and Mac OS X users should use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN on their computer.
How to Update Galaxy S4 I9505 (Snapdragon 600) to Official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Then boot the device in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you extracted in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy S4 to computer via USB cable, while the phone is still in Download mode. When the device connects successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the phone's USB drivers or changing the port on the computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted I9505XXUBMGA firmware folder that you obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the '.tar.md5' file
- Tap the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if such file is not found)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named 'CSC' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Click the PIT checkbox, and choose the '.pit' file (ignore if the file is missing)
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin flashing the firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
The Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 is now running on the latest Android 4.2.2 I9505XXUBMGA Jelly Bean OTA update. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
If the phone is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 9, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now option. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Performing data wipe task will only erase your phone's internal memory and not the data on SD card.
[Source: Honai of Android]