The compact version of Galaxy S4, featuring a 4.3in qHD Super AMOLED screen, is now available in the UK. Following the market launch, recognised XDA developer, arco68, released a root access for the Galaxy S4 Mini.
The developer has shared the ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery file and an insecure kernel for the LTE version of the Galaxy S4 Mini, bearing model number GT-I9195. Additionally, the developer has released an easy root method for the handset. Installing the two files will help users to obtain root and install CWM recovery on the S4 Mini.
Galaxy S4 Mini users who wish to root their devices running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and install CWM recovery may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their handsets meet following requirements before installing the firmware.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all the data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then back up data using the recovery.
4) The battery of the Galaxy S4 Mini should have above 80% charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose its manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted, but users can reclaim the warranty by unrooting it later.
7) The root and recovery files work only on the LTE version of Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195. As applying this to any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About device>> Model number.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195 and install CWM recovery
Step-1: Download kernel.tar file for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to the computer. Extract the downloaded zip to get a file with .tar.md5 extension
File name: GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.zip [6.46MB]
Step-2: Download ClockworkMod recovery file. Extract the downloaded recovery file to obtain a .tar.md5 file
File name: recovery-clockwork-184.108.40.206-serranoltexx.tar.zip [5.56MB]
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe file with few other files
Step-4: Turn off the Galaxy S4 Mini and wait for about five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the screen of the device flashes. Then press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe on the computer
Step-7: Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, an Added message will appear under Odin message box. Additionally, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port at the back of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device, then reinstall USB driver.
Step-8: Click the PDA button and select GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.md5 file which was extracted earlier from the downloaded kernel zip
Step-9: In Odin, ensure that the F.Reset Time checkbox is unchecked
Step-10: Click the Start button in Odin to begin the installation. When the installation process is completed, the device will reboot automatically
Step-11: Once the device boots up successfully, switch it off
Step-12: Place the phone again in Download Mode by placing and holding Home, Volume Down and Power buttons together
Step-13: Connect the phone to the computer using the USB cable while the phone is in Download Mode
Step-14: Run Odin on the computer
Step-15: In Odin, click the PDA button and select recover-clockwork-220.127.116.11-serranoltexx.tar.md5
Step-16: When everything is set, hit the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take a few minutes to complete
Step-17: Once the installation process is completed, the phone will reboot automatically
Step-18: After the device boots up switch off the phone
Step-19: Press and hold Home, Volume Up and Power buttons together. The device will enter recovery. When you exit recovery, it will ask if you want to root the device. Select Yes
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini running on Android 4.2.2 should now be rooted successfully with CWM recovery installed on the device. Users can download Superuser app from Google Play Store.
Also read- HTC One Mini Vs Galaxy S4 Mini
[Source: XDA developer]