Moto G Google Play Edition (GPe) users are in for some great news, as Google has pushed the highly-anticipated Android 5.0.1 Lollipop OTA with build number LRX21Z for its flagship smartphone, the Moto G (2013).
Those who missed the official OTA update notification for their device can now install the same manually, using the step-by-step guide given below.
The catch here is that you must the running the latest stock Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware with build number KTU84P in order to be able to install the lollipop firmware, else you may risk bricking your device.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be liable for any damage to device during or after the Lollipop OTA firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions and the OTA zip files provided in this guide are meant for Moto G 2013 Google Play Edition (GPe) devices only. Do not attempt installing this firmware on any other model or you may risk bricking the device.
- Ensure the device has more than 60% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown leading to corrupt partitions, during the OTA firmware installation.
- Back up important data and settings on the device before you proceed.
- Copy the downloaded OTA files to your phone's internal SD card.
Steps to Install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop OTA Zip on Moto G 2013 GPe
- Power off the phone and wait for a few seconds until it shuts down completely.
- Press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power keys together until the bootloader or recovery mode screen appears.
- Hit the Volume Down key to highlight the Recovery option and then select it by tapping the Volume Up key.
- A warning Android logo will appear in the middle of the screen.
- Tap the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons for around 5 seconds. Now while holding the two buttons, press and release the Power button.
- Your device will now boot into stock recovery mode and display "Android System Recovery" at the top of the screen.
- Next select "apply update from sdcard"
- Then go to the downloaded file and select it.
- Wait for the installation to complete and follow onscreen prompts to reboot the phone.
[Source: Android Central]