Before the Android Lollipop firmware can be available for the Galaxy Alpha, which is expected in March next year, Samsung has issued a new firmware update with build G850FXXU2BNK3 based on Android version 4.4.4 for the smartphone.
The new stock firmware build is available for the international European version of Galaxy Alpha SM-G850F in numerous European and Asian countries. This update is like any other maintenance update from Samsung, which can be installed via OTA and via the Kies server.
Model name: Galaxy Alpha
Version: Android 4.4.4
Build date: 12 November
Product Code: PHE
If you reside out of the firmware supported region and wish to keep your device updated with the latest build, check the installation guide below. As the stock firmware used in this guide is an unbranded version of the firmware, it can be installed on any unlocked SM-G850F, regardless of country and region.
- Install USB Drivers for Galaxy Alpha to connect the Android device with the computer.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings >> Developer Options >> check the USB Debugging option]
- As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all the data of the phone, create a backup using custom recovery.
- The Galaxy Alpha should have above 80% battery.
- The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
- The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of the official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- G850FXXU2BNK3 Android 4.4.4 stock firmware works only with Galaxy Alpha SM-G850F. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings >> About phone >> Model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install G850FXXU2BNK3 Android 4.4.4 on Galaxy Alpha SM-G850F
Step 1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional.
Step 2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files.
Step 3: Power off the Galaxy Alpha.
Step 4: Put the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together.
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step 5: Run Odin as Administrator on the computer. For this click on the tool then right-click and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step 6: Connect Galaxy Alpha to the PC using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time.
Step 7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
Step 8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked.
Step 9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10: When the process is complete, the phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer.
You can check the new software version on your Galaxy Alpha by navigating to Settings >> About phone.