Samsung is unlikely to release the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for its former flagship phone, the Galaxy S5, anytime soon. However, owners of the Galaxy S5 are in for some good news, as the industrious CyanogenMod developers have unleashed the CyanogenMod 13 (CM13) ROM to bring the first Marshmallow custom update for the device.
As the ROM is still an early release, it may harbour a few inherent bugs or broken features that will be fixed in the forthcoming updates to CM13 firmware. Expect some stability improvements to this ROM with subsequent updates from the CyanogenMod team.
Interested Galaxy S5 users may go ahead and install the CM13 ROM to get the first-hand experience of Android 6.0 Marshmallow update, ahead of the official firmware release from Samsung.
Note: Installing custom ROMs and rooting tools may void the hardware warranty on your device. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible for any damage to the device during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Working features: Built from CM source, Service, Text, Data, Call, Audio, WiFi, Google Now, Bluetooth and more.
Broken features or what's not working: On first boot com.android.phone force-closes but after that everything should work fine. Several CM features have not been merged yet including external storage and video recording.
- The ROM is compatible with all Samsung Galaxy S5 models with following codenames: kltexx, kltelra, kltetmo, kltecan, klteatt, klteub, klteacg, kltedcm, klte. Besides, individual CDMA builds supported include kltespr, klteusc, kltevzw and GSM builds as kltedv. Attempting try this procedure on any other device or variant may invariably brick the device.
- Ensure the latest version of TWRP recovery is installed on the device.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer, to enable seamless transfer of the ROM and Google Apps to the device's storage.
- Make sure that the device is fully charged or it must have at least 80% battery charge, before you begin the installation process. This is to prevent unexpected device shutdown during the firmware installation.
- Back up your important data and settings on the phone to prevent unexpected data loss, during the ROM installation.
Steps to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow update on Galaxy S5 via CM13 ROM
- Download the Marshmallow CM 13 ROM to your computer from the download link provided.
- Now copy the ROM zip file to a safe location on your device's internal storage.
- Now reboot into TWRP Recovery as follows: Turn off your device and then press and hold volume down and power keys together. When the TWRP logo appears on the screen, just release the keys and the device should successfully boot into the recovery screen.
- Perform a nandroid backup as follows: Tap on backup option in TWRP and select all the partitions including System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right where needed, to take the backup.
- Once the backup completes, perform a full wipe. Return to the TWRP main menu and tap the wipe button and select Advanced Wipe. Then chose Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache. Now swipe the confirmation button to start the wipe process.
- Go back to the TWRP main menu and tap on the install button. Browse and locate the ROM file you copied earlier and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation. The ROM should now be installed.
- Repeat the steps 6 and 7 to install the Google apps as well.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation.
- Once Gapps is installed, select reboot to system.
[Source: Droid Views]