HTC has started rolling out the official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update for its flagship smartphone, HTC One, which runs Android 4.1.2 out of box. The update has already hit Europe and expected to reach other parts of the world soon.
Those who are yet to receive the OTA notification for the official update, may now upgrade their devices to Android 4.2.2 using MIUI v5 ROM. The new build of MIUI is based on CyanogenMod and integrates AOSP 4.2.2. Besides, it brings several customised features for the HTC One.
Senior XDA developer, adyscorpius, has successfully ported the ROM into HTC One. The developer notes that a few of the features are not working which will be fixed soon in the course of development. Head over to the original thread to learn more about the latest release of MIUI build.
HTC One users who wish to install Android 4.2.2 on their handsets using MIUI v5 may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to ensure that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for HTC One to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed, then backup data using the recovery.
4) The HTC One should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed. Click here for our guide to root and install CWM recovery on HTC One.
6) The MIUI v5 build works only on HTC One M7. Installing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experiences boot loop, then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times and then reboot the device.
8) Users are advised to give five to 10 minutes to the ROM once the device boots up for the first time to settle everything for a better user experience.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on HTC One M7 via MIUI v5
Step-1: Download MIUI v5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for HTC One to the computer
File name: AdyScorpiusMIUI_v3.7.5.zip
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the HTC One to the computer using USB cable. Then copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone
Step-4: Disconnect the USB cable from the phone and turn it off
Step-5: Boot the HTC One into recovery mode. Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together until the screen flashes. From the HBOOT menu navigate to Recovery option using the Volume Down button and select it with the Power button
Note: In recovery mode use the Volume buttons to scroll between options and the Power button to select the desired option.
Step-6: In recovery mode, perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or in case users wish to go back to the previous firmware. To perform a Nandroid backup, select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. Go back to the main recovery menu once the backup process is done
Step-7: Perform data wiping task to eliminate clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. To do so, select wipe data/factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for few minutes until data wiping is done then return to the CWM recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition and after wiping cache partition is completed, select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping. Once the action is completed, go back to the recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Now navigate to the MIUI v5 ROM zip which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Select it using Power button and confirm installation on the next screen. The ROM installation should begin now
Step-9: Once the ROM is installed, follow the same procedure (step-8) but now choose the Google apps package to install the same
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The phone will reboot now and boot up into the customised MIUI ROM. The first boot will take about five minutes
The MIUI v5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM should now be installed and running on the HTC One. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software of the device.
Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the phone into recovery mode, select Backup and Restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
[Source: Droid Views]