HTC One S users finally get the latest Jelly Bean update, Android 4.2.1, through the Dark Jelly S ROM; this is based on CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) firmware.
The custom firmware introduces a number of Jelly Bean features, including multi-user support, Gesture Typing, a new Quick Settings option, a lock-screen widget, a new camera app, photosphere, improved Google Now, a new daydream feature and miracast display.
Here is a list of features built into the Dark Jelly S CM10.1 ROM:
- Customisable installation with AROMA Installer
- Aroma Installer with English or German language
- Aroma Installer option to customize the installed Dark Jelly S Edition
- Full/Non-Wipe option in AROMA Installer
- S-On Kernel Installer
- Preinstalled HTCDumlock
- Selectable Baseband/Radio
- Preinstalled gapps
For more information on new features, visit the source page listed at the end of the article.
Important: As this is a nightly build and is still under development, it may have bugs or broken features. It is advisable to reinstall stock firmware or any other stable custom ROM if stability issues surface. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is bricked or damaged during or after this procedure.
- Verify correct USB drivers are installed on the computer
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the CM10.1 based Dark Jelly S ROM on the HTC One S
- Make sure that your phone is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- If the phone is running Android 4.0, enable USB Debugging mode on it by navigating to Settings > Developer Options. Navigate to Settings > Applications > Development, if device is running android 2.3 or earlier
- Else if the device is running Android 4.2, then navigate to Settings > About Phone, scroll down to the Build number and tap on it about seven times to enable Developer Options under Settings
- Make sure that the phone's battery has at least 85 percent charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the Android 4.2.1 Dark Jelly S ROM.
- Verify that your phone is factory unlocked, as the instructions provided in this guide are not recommended for devices that are locked to a specific carrier.
To Install Android 4.2.1 Dark Jelly S CM10.1 Final ROM on HTC One S
- Download Android 4.2.1 Dark Jelly S CM10.1 ROM and Google apps (optional) package
- Connect device to computer with original USB cable and copy downloaded files to root folder on SD card
- Switch phone off and boot into Bootloader (to do so, press and hold Volume Down and Power together and follow onscreen instructions to select Bootloader option and enter CWM Recovery mode)
- In CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe and then browse to Flash Zip from SD Card (tap Power to select option)
- Tap Power again and select Choose Zip from SD Card
- Now use Volume keys to navigate to Android 4.2.1 ROM zip file and select file using Power. Confirm ROM installation on next screen and let the installation begin
- Note: Repeat step to select and install Google apps package
- After Google apps is installed, select Go Back and reboot phone by tapping RebootSystemNow from Recovery menu (first reboot may take up to five minutes)
The CM10.1 firmware, based on Android 4.2.1 Dark Jelly S ROM, has now been installed on the phone. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]