We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Just a couple of days ago, HTC One X users received the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware via Android Open Source Project (AOSP) ROM. Now, the flagship smartphone receives yet another Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom firmware, with due release of CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) Nightly ROM with enhanced security features and highly-customisable options.
NOTE: As the CM10.1 ROM is a Nightly release, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features, which are expected to be fixed in the upcoming updates.
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the HTC One X model only and will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup the important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss during firmware installation.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for HTC One X on computer (download USB drivers)
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during ROM installation.
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabledon the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Now, tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Verify that the phone is rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on it.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before working on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on HTC One X with CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM
1. Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of phone's SD card.
3. Disconnect the USB cable from computer and then power off the phone.
4. Now, boot the phone into Bootloader mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down button while tapping the Power button on the phone. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in Bootloader mode. Now, browse and select Recovery Mode option.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of current ROM on the phone, so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, then on the next screen hit Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Now, perform full data wipe task. To do so, Click Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Now, return to CWM recovery main menu and click Wipe Cache-Partition. Then wait until the wiping process completes and select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
7. Choose Install zip from SD card, then click Choose zip from SD card. Now, browse and select the cm-10-20130217-NIGHTLY-endeavoru.zip file that was copied to the phone earlier in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on the next screen and the installation will begin.
8. After the ROM installation is complete, repeat the step 7 but choose the gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google Apps.
9. Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into newly installed Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, leave it alone.
10. Restoring to Previous ROM: To return to the previous ROM, boot into Recovery, choose Backup and Restore to get back original ROM.
Congratulations! HTC One X is now running the latest Android 4.2.2 CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installation.
[Source: Android Jinn]