The HTC Sensation, running the Android Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) software, can now be updated with the Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) build recently released for Google's Nexus devices. The Internet search giant released the upgrade for some bug fixes and XDA developer bruce2728 has released an alpha version of CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1), which brings the Android 4.2.1 update to the Sensation. The SD card, the display, the radio and the Wi-Fi are a few of the features reported as functioning correctly, while the camera, the Bluetooth and audio are a few not yet working.
Sensation users looking for the update may follow the guide below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device during installation. This ROM is for the HTC Sensation only.
- Ensure download of appropriate USB drivers and enable USB debugging mode
- Ensure all important data is backed-up
- Ensure bootloader is unlocked
- Ensure device is rooted and ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery is installed
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
To Install CM10.1 Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) Custom Firmware on HTC Sensation
- Download CM10.1 Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) ROM
- Download Google apps package
- Connect device to computer using USB cable and copy downloaded files to SD card
- Disconnect device and switch it off. Now re-start in Recovery mode. To do so, hold Volume Down and Power buttons. The device will first enter HBOOT mode. Now use Volume keys to navigate to Recovery option and press Power to enter Recovery
- In Recovery, create a Nandroid backup of existing ROM (to do so, select Backup and Restore > Backup
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and return to main Recovery after action is completed
- Use Power to select Install Zip from SD Card and then Choose Zip from SD Card. Navigate to downloaded ROM, select using Power and confirm installation
- After ROM is installed, repeat above step to install Google apps package
- After installation, return to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System now (the first reboot may take some time)
The CyanogenMod 10.1 custom firmware, based on Android 4.2.1, is now installed and running on the HTC Sensation. Navigate to Settings > About Phone to verify software version on device.
[Source: Android Egis]