Much to the delight of Android fans, Google's flagship tablet receives yet another Android 4.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM based on Android Open Kang Project (AOKP). This should come as a double treat for Nexus 7 users and Android fans alike, as an earlier IBTimes UK report reveals the release of AOSP custom ROM with Liquid smooth technology for the famed Nexus tablet.
The new AOKP ROM update brings better customisation options as well as enhanced performance over stock ROMs and is reportedly shifting its development base from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean. Consequently, Nexus 7 with factory-installed Jelly Bean is one of the first Android devices to support Jelly Bean based AOKP ROM upgrade.
Key Points to Note
- It must be noted that the current AOKP ROM build is a developer preview that is also touted an alpha release. So, although the tool is fully functional, it may harbour a few bugs and customisation issues. The alpha version of the AOKP ROM is still under development and needs further refining.
- This ROM release and the instructions in the guide are meant for Google Nexus 7 tablet only and will not work with any other devices. The installation procedure provided in this guide is meant for reference purposes only.
- IBTimes UK advises its readers to backup important personal data (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and internet settings) and installed apps to avoid risk of losing data while performing the AOKP ROM update for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your Nexus 7 tablet.
Here is a step-by-step guide to install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update on Google Nexus 7 Via AOKP ROM [Courtesy: The Android Soul]
How to install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update on Google Nexus 7 Via AOKP ROM
1. Unlock the bootloader on your Nexus 7 by installing the Nexus Root Toolkit (Download here). This procedure will erase all data on your Nexus 7 device including the files on the SD card. So, it is imperative you backup the data.
2. Now, install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on the device by following the guide posted here.
3. Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
4. Download the Google Apps package.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip
5. Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the root folder of SD card on the tablet (do not extract the files).
6. Switch off tablet's power. Then, boot into recovery by executing a button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together till the device boots into CWM recovery.
7. Do a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something goes wrong with this ROM. To do a backup, select Backup and Restore, on the next screen, choose Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup completes.
8. Select wipe data/factory reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe process completes.
9. Select install zip from sdcard, then tap choose zip from sdcard. Locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Tap Yes - Install _____.zip on the next screen to confirm installation. At this point, the ROM should start installing.
10. Once ROM installation is done, tap choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
11. After the Google apps package is installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit reboot system now to reboot the tablet into AOKP ROM. You may have to wait up to 5 minutes, as the first boot is likely to take some time.
12. Returning to Previous ROM: To revert to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 7), select backup and restore, then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your Nexus 7.