Galaxy S GT-I9000 appears to have been officially sidelined by Samsung since its release. The smartphone shipped with Android 2.1 Eclair at launch, and was later upgraded to Android 2.3 Gingerbread. But there has been no further software updates from the Korean smartphone giant, and I9000 users have had to depend on custom ROM developers for regular Android updates.
Owing to the release of the latest C-RoM Mix custom ROM, Galaxy S GT-I9000 users can now enjoy the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update on their older smartphones. With credit due to XDA Developers member aways, the new C-RoM Mix ROM blends the features of two of the best custom ROMs, CyanogenMod 10 and AOKP Jelly Bean, from the Android market.
The latest version of C-RoM Mix is reportedly designed to deliver better battery-life, speed and stability, besides porting the latest Google Apps, Semaphore JB 2.4.4 kernel, and other exciting features.
Android 4.1.2 C-RoM Mix Jelly Bean ROM Features
- Mix of CM10 4.1.2 And AOKP 4.1.2
- Patched framework.jar
- Added Google Music
- Patched services.jar
- New Scripts for enhanced battery life
- Semaphore 2.4.4 Kernel
- GPS Fixed
- Latest GApps
- Faster and more stable
- The latest version of C-RoM Mix ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the Galaxy S GT-I9000 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure that your phone is rooted and has ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it.
- Download C-RoM Mix v5.0
- Users are advised to backup apps, important personal data and settings (for e g contacts, bookmarks, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while flashing the Android 4.1.2 C-RoM Mix Jelly Bean ROM on your phone.
- NOTE: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Android 4.1.2 firmware update.
How to Install Android 4.1.2 C-RoM Mix Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy S GT-I9000
1. Copy C-RoM Mix zip file to the root folder on your phone's internal SD card.
2. Power off your Galaxy S phone and reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM).
3. To do so, press and hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until the phone boots into CWM Recovery mode.
NOTE: Use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option while in Recovery Mode.
4. In Recovery Mode choose Backup and Restore and then hit Backup to create a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM.
5. Wipe and reset your phone as follows:
- Click Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on next screen.
- Hit Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on next screen.
6. Go back to the main menu and choose Install ZIP from SD card, then click Choose ZIP from SD card.
7. Browse and select C-RoM Mix v5.zip file. Double-tap on the ROM zip-file to begin installation. Confirm the installation by clicking Yes on the next screen.
8. Click Go Back to return to the main menu and hit Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
Android 4.1.2 C-RoM Mix Jelly Bean ROM is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S GT-I9000. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Android Authority]