Recognised developer, iH8Sn0w has recently released an update to his popular Windows jailbreak took, Sn0wBreeze v2.9.8, bringing support for untethered jailbreak of A4 devices running on iOS 6.0/6.0.1/6.1.
New features of Sn0wBreeze 2.9.8
1) Added 5.2/6.0.x/6.1 untethers provided by evad3rs
2) Added iOS 6.1 support for iPhone 3GS and A4 devices
3) Fixed Hacktivation issues on 6.0.x
4) Fixed some iFaith mode bugs
Head over to the source page to learn more about the bug issues of the latest release.
The key difference between Sn0wBreeze and tools like Evasi0n is the former creates a custom firmware file that must be restored to the device before it is considered jailbroken. In addition to that, Sn0wBreeze can be used to preserve an iPhone's baseband version, which is needed for unlockers. Sn0wBreeze also allows users customise the jailbreak with pre-installed package support.
The Windows users, who wish to perform an untethered jailbreak for their A4 devices using Sn0wBreeze v2.9.8, may follow the tutorial below. IBTimes UKreminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to create back-up for all the data of the device. Ensure that the battery of the device carries more than 80 per cent of charge.
iPod Touch 4G
Steps to untethered jailbreak iOS 6.0/6.0.1/6.1 of A4 devices using Sn0wBreeze 2.9.8
2) Once Sn0wBreeze is extracted, launch it by double clicking the Sn0wBreeze v2.9.8.exe file
[Note: Users need to grant Sn0wBreeze administrative privileges.]
3) A pop-up window will appear, read it carefully and then click the OK button. From there another screen saying "Sn0wBreeze version 2.9.8 ....." will appear. Read it and click the blue arrow button to continue
4) Now click the browse button and select the iOS 6.0/6.0.1/6.1 firmware to jailbreak. Once the iOS 6.x firmware is selected, Sn0wBreeze will start identifying firmware file. After Sn0wBreeze identifies the firmware, a success notification will appear. Then click the blue arrow button to continue
5) The next screen will be presented with four options: iFaith Mode, Simple Mode, Expert Mode and Baseband Preservation Mode. Click the Expert Mode Now
[Note: Sn0wBreeze will never update iPhone's baseband regardless of which mode is being chosen.]
6) In the next screen, users need to begin the customisation process. Click the General button
7) In the General screen, users can select a variety of option to customise jailbreak. Select the desired option for jailbreak and click the blue arrow
8) The next screen allow users to pre-install third party applications and tweaks. Find applications/tweaks in order to install and select them. Then click the blue arrow to continue
9) The customisation home screen will appear again, then select the Build IPSW option and click the blue arrow button to continue to the IPSW creation process
10) Sn0wBreeze will now begin creating the custom IPSW with options being selected. This process is likely to take five to 30 minutes depending on the speed of the computer. Once the firmware file has been created, it will be located on the desktop
11) After Sn0wBreeze has created the cutom IPSW, place the iDevice into DFU mode. Click OK to begin the process. Follow the screen instruction to enter into DFU mode and then restore the custom IPSW firmware file
12) Users will be now prompted by Sn0wBreeze saying iReb is successfully running. Go back to iTunes and Shift click the restore button. Now select the custom IPSW firmware file (located on the desktop) to restore to the iPhone/iPod Touch. Once the iDevice is successfully restored and reboots, Cydia will appear on the home screen indicating the jailbreak is successful
Congratulations, you have successfully performed an untethered jailbreak of the iPhone 4/iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch 4G running on iOS 6.0/6.0.1/6.1.