Massimo Cellino
Cellino says he will not sack Steve Evans – at least until the summer.Getty

Leeds United owner Massimo Cellino insists he will not pull the trigger on Steve Evans this season. Evans signed a rolling contract in October last year when he replaced Uwe Rosler at Elland Road, but his future at the club has come under fresh scrutiny in the wake of the club's 4-1 hammering to Yorkshire rivals Huddersfield on Saturday 19 March 2016.

According to the Daily Mail, senior members of the Leeds dressing room have lost faith in the former Rotherham United manager, despite the club winning their previous three games on the bounce, a run of form which significantly eased their relegation worries. That development in the dressing room has reportedly left Evans on the brink, but Cellino insists any managerial change will not be made until the summer

"I am a very sad man with the results this season," Cellino told Sky Sports News HQ. "But sometimes I am not happy with my wife and I don't divorce he so I am certainly not looking to replace Steve Evans at the moment. I won't make any changes until the end of the season. Then I will look at how the whole season went and make a decision.

In a starting development, 2006 World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro has emerged as the leading candidate to replace Evans if and when Cellino does take action. According to the Daily Mirror, the former Italy defender is being lined up for the role, despite his lack of managerial experience in Europe.

The 42-year-old has had brief stints in charge of Chinese Super League side Guangzhou Evergrande and Saudi Arabian club Al-Nassr, parting ways with the latter in February.

Should he be sacked, Evans will become the sixth manager to lose his job during Cellino's two-year reign in charge of the club.