This is the first picture of Muhaydin Mire to be released after the knife attack at Leytonstone Tube station in London, where he was alleged to have slashed the throat of a 56-year-old man. The 29-year-old appeared in Westminster Magistrates' court on 7 December to face a charge of attempted murder.
Mire, of Sansom Road, Leytonstone, was Tasered three times by officers during the incident at the station on the evening of 5 December. The victim, who told the court he wished to remain anonymous, was said to have been attacked from behind before Mire allegedly cut his throat in a sawing motion. It left a 12cm wound on the man's neck that required five hours of surgery, the court was told.
Mire arrived in court handcuffed and wearing a light grey T-shirt and tracksuit trousers. The short hearing saw him speak only to confirm his name, date of birth and address. He was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on 11 December.
Assistant Chief Constable Mark Newton, of British Transport Police, said the safety of London Underground users remained the top priority. "In addition to our usual specialist response teams, last week we launched Project Servator, deploying even more highly-visible police patrols designed to identify and deter terrorism," he said.
"Following Saturday's incident, we are now deploying more officers in this role. They involve both uniformed and plain-clothed officers, supported by other resources, such as armed officers, police dogs, a network of CCTV cameras, and the thousands of rail staff we work alongside. We ask the public to remain calm and carry on using public transport as normal."