Martin Montoya
Martin Montoya says he won't be rushed into signing a new deal with Barcelona as Liverpool circle.Reuters

Liverpool defensive target Martin Montoya has insisted he's in no rush to sign a new deal with Barcelona as he considers his future.

Montoya is believed to be high on the Reds' list of possible transfer targets this month, particularly as his contract with his current club runs out in the summer.

While reports had claimed that Barcelona may not be willing to offer the 22 year old a lucrative extension, prompting the possibility of a move elsewhere, he insists that negotiations are ongoing. However, Montoya won't be rushed into signing a new deal straight away.

"There is no hurry for me to sign a new deal," Montoya told reporters, via Sport Review, after Barcelona's 4-0 win over Elche on Sunday.

"Now I am at the best club in the world and I learn each day from Dani Alves.

"I believe that the negotiations are on the way but without pressure."

Brendan Rodgers admitted in the lead-up to January that Liverpool will struggle with their lack of depth as the season progresses and with building injury woes over the last month the manager is likely to be tempted to dip into the market at some point during January.

While the winter window is often seen as being overpriced and offering limited availability Rodgers has been able to make the most of the month in the past, having purchased Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho this time last year.

Both players have gone on to become integral to Liverpool's push for a top four position and the manager will no doubt be closely monitoring Montoya's situation while the Spain Under 21 international is yet to sign a new deal with the La Liga giants.