The owners of Moto X (2nd Gen) now can enjoy the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop with build version LMY47I, with due credits to the custom release of Sonic Open Kang Project (SOKP).
Designed by the Sonic-Developers, the SOKP is an after market firmware based on latest Android Lollipop firmware, with CyanogenMod base and selected features from various popular Android ROMs such as AOKP, AOSPA, SLIM, BeanStalk, AICP, LiquidSmooth etc.
The custom build is basically for those who like multitasking performance and optimum speed. A noteworthy feature of SOKP ROM is its Real True-HD DTS Sound with Brilliant HD Display optimisations for video and images.
Besides, the ROM offers inbuilt options and settings to customise the device.
The information and basic features of the SOKP ROM follow.
- ROM OS version: 5.1.x Lollipop
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
- Status: Testing
- Build date: 31 March
Sonic Open Kang Project features
- Various bug fixes compared to Goggle AOSP
- Material Dark UI
- Advanced Mode in Settings
- Configurable Custom colours in Battery Saver Mode
- On The Spot
- On Screen navigation bar switch
- Navigation Bar left handed mode in Landscape Mode
- Configurable navigation bar Hight
- Navigation Bar button colour
- Materialised toast frames
- Disable FC dialogues
- Materialised Text Select handle
- Smooth Upload and Download Animations
- Fix for Battery Status wakelock
- Status bar left clock
- Customisable battery icon
- Status bar Notification Counts
- Double tap to sleep option in status bar
- Status bar brightness control
- Quick pull-down
- Weather above Quick settings
- Quick Settings customisations
- Configurable Power menu
- Configurable Multi-user accounts
- Customisable device wakeup with home, volume buttons
- Customisable long press action and double tap action
- Option to reorient volume button when screen rotates
- Customisable lock screen slider short-cuts
- Glow-pad double tap gesture
- Wake Lock Blocker
- Customisable Navigation Bar and Navigation Rings
- CyanogenMod themes with customisable styles, icons, fonts boot animation, sound packs, etc
- Custom Profile switcher
- Expanded desktop
- Customisable advanced display with Scenario, night mode
- Notification Light
- Screen Caster
- CPU and Memory Info in Settings>>About
- Custom Volume steps
- Ascending Phone ring tones
- Privacy Guard
- Mock Location and Mock SMS
- Adoptive Back light
- Beautiful SOKP fonts system wide
- Apex launcher as default launcher
- Own custom DTS audio system with support of Dolby Digital Plus customisable equaliser which can be used for system wide sound control (Will be merged soon)
- Inbuilt Meta on powered performance boost by Spike lab
Check out the step-by-step installation guide if you want to experience Android 5.1 on Moto X 2014 model with SOKP ROM.
- Before following the installation guide, create backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery.
- Enable USB Debugging on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
- Your Moto X should have above 80% battery charge to avoid power off during the process which could damage the device.
- The phone should be rooted with the latest recovery system installed on it. Also, it should have an unlocked bootloader. [The guide below uses TWRP recovery.]
- Recommended custom recovery: TWRP recovery
- As the SOKP ROM is in its testing stage; all the features might not function properly.
- The Android 5.1 SOKP ROM works with Moto X 2014 model. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the device before installing the custom firmware.
- After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
- Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to update Moto X 2nd Gen to SOKP ROM based on Android 5.1 Lollipop
Step-1: Connect the phone to the computer via USB cable then move the downloaded files to the internal storage of the phone and remember the location
Step-2: Disconnect the phone and boot into recovery mode
Step-3: In recovery mode, create a nandroid backup of the existing ROM, which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or, you want to revert to the current version. From recovery select Backup and do a swipe on the Swipe to Back Up button
Step-4: Perform data wiping task; Wipe Data, System, Cache and Dalvik
Step-5: Go back to recovery menu and select Install then navigate to the folder where you have saved the SOKP ROM and confirm installation
Step-6: Perform Wipe Cache and Dalvik again
Step-7: Install the Gapps package in the similar procedure you used for flashing the ROM
Step-8: Perform Wipe Cache and Dalvik
Step-9: Finally reboot the phone
Wait for at least 5 to 10 minutes for the first setup and in you get a black screen after 10 minutes, restart the phone it will automatically start normally
Your Moto X should now be updated with SOKP RM featuring Android 5.1.