Nexus 4 E960 users are in for a special treat with the release of Matr1x 2.0 Kernel based on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean operating system (OS). With due credit to XDA recognised developer mathkid95, the Matr1x custom kernel reportedly brings superior battery optimisation, an efficient ARM CPU Topology and GPU over-clocking capability up to 450MHz (with all the cores being undervolted to 100mV).
As The Android Soul notes, the Matr1x custom ROM kernel was earlier ported to Google Nexus S device and found to be considerably successful in enhancing battery performance of the device. Hence, it is no wonder that the kernel has been introduced to the Nexus 4.
Key Points to Note
- The Matr1x kernel ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Nexus 4 E960 smartphone only and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid risk of data loss while flashing the Android 4.2 based Matr1x kernel on your Nexus 4.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Android 4.2 custom ROM based Matr1x kernel update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that your Nexus 4 smartphone is rooted with an unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- Verify that the phone's battery has at least 75 percent charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the Android 4.2 based Matr1x kernel on it.
- Download Matr1x kernel package
How to Install Android 4.2 Matr1x Kernel ROM on Nexus 4 E960
1. Copy the Matr1x kernel package to the root folder on your phone's internal SD card.
2. Switch off your phone and reboot into CWM Recovery.
3. To do so, first boot into Fastboot Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together until "Start" message pops up on the screen. Then use volume buttons to navigate and choose Recovery Option to enter CWM Recovery.
NOTE: Use Volume buttons to navigate and the Home/Power button to select an option in Recovery
4. Perform a NANDroid Backup of your current ROM. Choose Backup and Restore and hit Backup.
5. Wipe your phone's data buy doing the following:
- Choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and click Yes to confirm.
- Click Wipe Cache Partition and select Yes to confirm.
- Tap Advance, click Wipe Dalvik Cache and choose Yes to confirm.
6. To install the Matr1x ROM, choose Install ZIP from SD Card and click Choose ZIP From SD Card.
7. Browse and select the Matr1x-cfs_v1.5.zip file and confirm the ROM installation.
8. Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and choose Reboot System Now.
Android 4.2 based Matr1x kernel ROM is now successfully installed on your Google Nexus 4.
[Source: Android Authority]