We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
As expected, Google has begun rolling out Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) updates to its older Nexus-branded devices, starting from the Galaxy Nexus (I9250) - the third generation Nexus smartphone. The Over The Air (OTA) software update carries the build number JOP40C.
Galaxy Nexus users who have updated their devices to the latest version of Jelly Bean may follow the guide below to root their phones and to install ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery. The root method uses CWM Recovery as custom recovery and Superuser as the rooting package. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be liable for any damage to the device and that this guide is only for the Galaxy Nexus I9250 (on Android 4.2 JOP40C). Before following the tutorial, users are advised to ensure their phones meet these requirements:
- Download USB drivers for Galaxy Nexus
- Ensure back-up of all important data
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
- Ensure phone is factory unlocked
- Ensure Nandroid backup of previous set-up
To Root Galaxy Nexus I9250 on Android 4.2 (JOP40C) Jelly Bean
- Download Android SDK from Android Developers Web site and install. Set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Follow this tutorial to see how to set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows
- Enable USB debugging
- Download Fastboot and extract in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory
- Note: Ignore above steps in case already present
- Download SuperSU v0.97 (CWM-SuperSU-v0.97.zip) for Galaxy Nexus to computer
- Connect device to computer using USB cable and copy CWM-SuperSU-v0.97.zip to SD card of device
- Switch off device
- Download CWM 188.8.131.52 (recovery-clockwork-touch-184.108.40.206-maguro.img) and save to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory
- Place device in Fastboot/Bootloader Mode, by pressing Volume Down and Power until text appears on screen; this is Bootloader Mode
- Browse to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right Click > Open Command Prompt)
- Now, type - fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-magu - and press Enter
- Select Recovery from Fastboot menu and enter Recovery mode
- In ClockWorkMod Recovery, use Volume keys and scroll to Flash Zip from SD Card and press Power button to select
- Press Power once again and select Choose Zip from SD Card
- Navigate to CWM-SuperSU-v0.97.zip using Volume buttons and press Power to select and confirm installation
- After installation, return to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System Now; device will take about five minutes to reboot
The Galaxy Nexus I9250 is rooted on Android 4.2 JOP40C firmware and CWM Recovery is installed. This can be verified with the Superuser app in the app list. To ensure the root method has been successfully completed, verify with Root Checker.
[Source: Team Android]