An official software update, Android 4.1.2 XXELLB Jelly Bean, has been pushed out for the international version of Samsung Galaxy S3 with model number I9300. Those who have already updated their devices with the latest Jelly Bean build, may follow the guide below to root their devices using CF-Auto-Root file.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are reminded to verify the model number of their devices, since the root package works only on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 running on Android 4.1.2 XXELLB Jelly Bean firmware. Flashing this root file on any other variant may brick the device. Users are also advised to ensure their devices meet the requirements mentioned below before following the root method.
1) Download and install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S3 on your computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and tap on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging is turned on.]
3) Create back-up for all your important data.
4) Ensure the battery of the phone is charged above 80 per cent.
5) Rooting the device will void warranty. The tutorial below only roots the device, in order to install custom ROM, users need to install custom recovery.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 on Android 4.1.2 XXELLB Jelly Bean
1) Download CF-Auto-Root file for Samsung Galaxy S3 to your computer. Extract the zip file: you will get a file with .tar extension under the extracted folder
2) Download Odin 3.07 and extract the zip file
3) Switch off the phone and boot into Download mode. To do so press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together. A warning screen will appear, now press Volume Down button to continue to enter Download Mode
4) Run Odin on the computer
5) Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. A message saying 'Added' will appear under Odin's message box. You should also see COM port with a number in Yellow if the phone is connected to the computer successfully
6) In Odin click the PDA button and select the CF-Auto-Root-mo-moxx-gti9300.tar.md5 file
7) Ensure Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin window
8) Hit the Start button in Odin to begin the installation process
9) Once the installation process is completed, you will get to see a 'Pass' message with green background in the extreme-left box at the top of the Odin. The phone will then automatically reboot and soon you should see Samsung logo on the screen. Now you may safely unplug the USB cable from the phone
Your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 running on Android 4.1.2 XXELLB Jelly Bean firmware is now rooted successfully. To ensure the root method is installed and working properly, you may verify with the Root Checker app which can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
[Source: Android Jinn]