Galaxy S3 I9300 users, who have already updated their device to the latest official Jelly Bean firmware, XXELL6 Android 4.1.2, are likely to lose root access after the update. Such users can now root their device using CF-Auto-Root tool with Odin software.
Rooting is essential not only to install system tweaks and hacks, but also for installing custom ROMs and root-based apps. IBTimes UK provides a step-by-step guide to root the device for such privileged access to bypass stock firmware restrictions.
NOTE: Device warranty will be void after it is rooted. However, it can be reclaimed by reinstalling official firmware update. Download and install Root Checker app from Google Play Store to verify if the device is actually rooted or not.
Disclaimer: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible for any damage caused during or after rooting.
- CF-Auto-Root tool limited to the international variant - Galaxy S3 I9300. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure data backup
- Ensure 80 percent battery charge
- Ensure that correct USB drivers are installed on the computer (download USB drivers)
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development
- Download CF-Auto-Root for I9300XXELL6 official firmware
- Download Odin 3.07
How to Root Galaxy S3 I9300 on Official XXELL6 Android 4.1.2 Firmware
1. Extract CF-Auto-Root zip to get a file with .tar extension in extracted folder.
2. Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Switch off the device and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Now, boot the Galaxy S3 I9300 in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together, while tapping Power button. When a "Warning!" message appears on screen, hit Volume Down key to progress into Download Mode.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (check Step 2) as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the rooting process.
6. Now, connect the device to the computer with original USB cable. A message reading "Added!!" will appear in Odin's message box at the bottom-left, which confirms successful USB connection. If the message doesn't appear, retry with another USB port (preferably the one at the rear of the computer). If it fails, just reinstall the USB drivers. If the device is successfully added, COM port with a number should turn Yellow.
7. Choose the following file in Odin using respective command button:
- Click the PDA button, and select the CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.tar.md5file
8. In Odin, ensure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are checked or enabled.
9. Verify everything in step7 and step 8 is done correctly. Then hit START button to begin the flashing process.
10. Once CF-Auto-Root is successfully flashed, a PASS message with green background will be seen in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. The phone will now automatically reboot and the Samsung logo appears on screen. Disconnect the device's USB cable to end the rooting process.
The device, Galaxy S3 I9300, is now rooted on official XXELL6 Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) firmware.
[Source: Android Jinn]