The Galaxy A7 (SM-A700FD) returns to the spotlight, as Samsung rolls out the new Android 5.0.2 over-the-air (OTA) update with build number A700FDXXU1BOE6 for the handset in Russia.
Coincidentally, the first smartphone in the Galaxy A series, the Galaxy A3, also received its first Lollipop update starting with Russia.
However, the new Lollipop firmware for the Galaxy A7 can now be downloaded and installed via Samsung KIES as well as manually, using the step-by-step guide posted below.
As the OTA update is being rolled out in phases, all Galaxy A7 users may not receive the update at the same time. Hence, those who missed the OTA update notification on their handset or cannot download/install the same for some reason can opt for the manual installation method, as outlined in the tutorial below.
Alternatively, one can check for the OTA update manually via Settings > About device > Software updates menu.
Android 5.0 brings loads of new features and improvements over its previous iteration including updated Material Design UI, enhanced performance, advanced notifications, full SD card access for third-party apps, a Do Not Disturb mode and a new priority option in notification settings.
Android 5.0.2 A700FDXXU1BOE6 Lollipop firmware details
|Model name||GALAXY A7|
|Build date||Wed, 20 May 2015 10:02:37 +0000|
Key Points to Remember
- Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers for Galaxy A7 on the computer.
- Create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery, before following the installation guide.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to enable connectivity with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Go to Settings>> Developer Options and enable the USB Debugging option.]
- Ensure your Galaxy A7 has at least 80% battery charge. Otherwise, the device might inadvertently shut down during the installation process due to lack of enough battery charge, which in turn could brick the device.
- Ensure your Galaxy A7 (SM-A700FD) has been unlocked before you proceed.
- The phone will lose custom ROM and root access once the stock update is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The Lollipop firmware build number A700FDXXU1BOE6 works only with the Galaxy A7 model. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and then install firmware based on the model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop A700FDXXU1BOE6 stock firmware on Galaxy A7
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip via Winzip or WinRAR.
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.10.6.exe with a few other files
Step-3: Power off the Galaxy A7 and boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down buttons together
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-4: Launch Odin as Administrator on the computer. Click on Odin.exe and then right-click and choose Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-5: Connect the Galaxy A7 to the PC via USB cable while it is still in Download mode. After some time Odin will detect the device and when the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This process might take some time.
Step-6: In Odin, select the firmware files extracted in step-1 in an orderly manner by tapping the AP or PDA button in Odin.
Step-7: Enable or select Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. But, ensure that Re-Partition checkbox is not ticked.
Step-8: Verify everything above is done correctly and then hit the Start button in Odin
Step-9: The installation should now begin and it would take just a few minutes to complete. Once the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the USB cable from the phone safely.
Android 5.0.2 A700FDXXU1BOE6 stock firmware is now installed and you can enjoy the latest Lollipop features on your Galaxy A7.