We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
It is now possible to expand the internal memory of the Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300), courtesy a tweak from XDA developer mattiadj. The ExtSd2internalSd mod allows users to build from the 16GB (or 32GB) of space initially available; check out the development page to learn about the mod's technical features and issues.
Galaxy S3 users looking to install this mod may follow this tutorial. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for damage to the device during this procedure. We also warn readers this guide will work only with AOKP and AOSP ROMs and is meant only for the Galaxy S3 (I9300).
- Ensure device is rooted with ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery installed and a custom kernel with init.d support
- Ensure download of appropriate mod file (for SD cards of 32GB or less - here / for SD cards above 32GB - here)
- Ensure download of SiyahKernel
- Ensure battery has at least 70 percent charge
- Ensure back-up of all data
To Format SD Card
- Remove external SD card from device
- Plug card into reader, connect to computer and back-up files
- To begin formatting SD card (for Windows users), right-click on SD card icon and select Format
- Format as fat32 if card size is 32GB or below and format as exfat if 64GB
- Set size to default
- Click Format and wait for completion of process
- Right-click on SD card file and select Properties to confirm successful formatting
- Plug SD card into device
To Swap External and Internal SD Cards
- Copy appropriate ZIP and SiyahKernel files to internal SD card on device
- Switch device off and re-start in Recovery mode (to do so, press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons)
- Install SiyahKernel by selecting Install Zip from SD Card and Choose Zip from SD Card; select Siyah-s3-v1.8.4-CWM.zip from list
- Repeat procedure to install mod file
- After installation, return to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System Now
- Connect device to computer using USB cable and move files from SD card to phone memory
To Revert to Default SD Cards
- Download ES File Explorer from Google Play Store
- Launch app and navigate to Settings
- Select Root Explorer > Yes
- Select Mount File System
- Navigate to /etc/init.d.
- Delete 11extsd2internalsd
- Restart device
The internal storage space of the Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) has been increased, with the ExtSd2InternalSd mod.
[Source: Android Authority]