Samsung's newest Galaxy S4 recently ClockworkMod (CWM) and TWRP received custom recoveries. Users can now flash back official stock recovery in case they have issues with the custom recovery and wish to return to the official version. To install the stock firmware the device needs stock recovery.
XDA developer, emwno, has released the stock recovery files for both Exynos 5 octa-core and Snapdragon 600 quad-core variants of Samsung Galaxy S4 bearing model number GT-I9500 and GT-I9505 respectively. Head over to the development page to know more about the stock recovery file.
Galaxy S4 users, who wish to install stock recovery on their devices, may follow our step-by-step guide. Installing stock recovery will automatically uninstall the custom recovery.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before proceeding, users are advised to ensure that their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S4 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Ensure that USB Debugging Mode is enabled on the phone to connect the phone with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create a backup of all data of the phone. If the device is having a custom recovery such as CWM/TWRP installed, users are recommended to back up the data using the same.
4) The Galaxy S4 should have above 80 per cent battery charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to any particular carrier.
6) The stock recovery files are compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500/I9505. As flashing these on any incorrect variant will brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S4 by browsing to Settings>> About Phone and then install the recovery files accordingly.
Steps to install stock recovery on Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500/I9505
1) Download official stock recovery files for Samsung Galaxy S4 to the computer
2) Extract the downloaded zip file
3) Download Odin3_v3.04.zip which will help to install the stock recovery on the devices
4) Switch off the Galaxy S4 and place the device into Download Mode. To do so press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together. Then press the Power button again to confirm booting in Download Mode
5) Plug in the USB cable to the phone to connect it with the computer while it is in Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, one of the ID: COM ports in Odin will turn yellow and display the COM port number
6) In Odin, click the PDA button and navigate to the stock recovery file with .tar extension. Select the file
7) Once the file is selected, ensure that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin. Also verify that the Re-partition options is unchecked
8) Double check everything and finally hit the Start button in Odin to begin the installation. The flashing will take some time to complete
9) When the installation process is completed, the phone will reboot automatically. Users may now safely disconnect the phone from the computer after the home screen appears on the phone
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500/I9505 should now have stock recovery installed on the device. Those who wish to uninstall the stock recovery and install custom recovery such as CWM/TWRP, may do so by following the similar aforementioned procedure using Odin.