The Android 5.1.1 update that started with Xperia Z series devices has now arrived for Xperia M2, Sony's mid-range 4G LTE smartphone and the M2 Aqua, the waterproof handset with the highest waterproof rating. The new firmware is also making its way through the dual SIM variant of the M2. Sony has already updated the software support pages for the M2, M2 Dual and M2 Aqua. Based on build version 18.6.A.0.175, the latest release incorporates a few performance tweaks and the following features:
- A fresh look and feel – based on Google's material design
- Increased customisation options – you now have even more control over the way volume, silent modes and your alerts function
- Brand new LinkedIn integration – be more productive, with Linkedin information about your meeting participants directly in your Calendar
- SmartWear integration – selfie snapping made that bit easier, with SmartWatch 3 as a remote shutter button
- Version: Android 5.1 (Lollipop)
- Latest available software: 18.6.A.0.175
- Release started: 29 September
As this is a phased rollout, the timing and availability of the update will vary according to markets and carrier networks. However, you can find out the current software version of the phone from Settings>> About phone>> Build number. Check the availability of the update by going to Settings>> About phone>> Software update.
Meanwhile, well known XDA forum member Jozinek has posted some videos, photos and hands- on experience of the Lollipop firmware on the Xperia M2 series, according to which the update brings a new launcher with landscape mode enable and option to set the size of the icons. Additionally, there are new sound settings and quick settings. The FTF links for the update are also available for those who want to install the firmware manually.
Xperia M2 Dual