Sony Xperia ZL is the latest entrant to join Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean party, thanks to the release of CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) Nightly ROM from custom Android developers. Although Sony is yet to release any official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware for the phone, custom ROM developers have already unleashed a rooting tool and custom recovery software for the popular device.
Earlier, the handset received its first custom Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update via PAC-Man ROM. IBTimes UK brings you a step-by-step guide to install the fastest yet most stable Jelly Bean firmware till date via CM10.1 Nightly ROM using this guide.
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the Sony Xperia ZL model only. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Make sure correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Sony Xperia ZL USB drivers).
- Verify the device has at least 80 per cent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging modeon the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the phone is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery installed on it.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for at least five minutes before working on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Xperia ZL via CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM
1. Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
3. Disconnect the USB cable from computer and then switch off the phone.
4. Now, boot the phone into Recovery mode by tapping Volume Up button a few times while booting. [NOTE: use volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select an option in recovery].
5. Take a Nandroid Backup of the device's current ROM, so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or to return to original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, then hit Backup again on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Now return to CWM recovery main menu. Choose Wipe Cache Partition and once it is done, perform Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option in CWM recovery.
7. Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Now, browse and select the cm-10.1-20130415-NIGHTLY-odin.zip file that you copied earlier in Step 2 by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen by choosing Yes and the installation will begin.
8. Once the ROM installation is complete, repeat Step 7 but choose the gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google Apps package.
9. Once Google Apps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into the newly installed Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CM10.1 ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, leave it alone.
10. Restoring to Previous ROM: To restore the previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by choosing it from the list.
Congratulations! Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM is now installed and running on the Xperia ZL.
[Source: Android Jinn]