Twin brothers have appeared in a Johannesburg court accused of plotting bomb attacks on targets in South Africa in support of Islamic State (IS).
Brandon-Lee Thulsie and Tony-Lee Thulsie appeared in Johannesburg Magistrate's Court on Monday, 11 July, South African news outlets reported.
The 23-year-old twins allegedly planned bomb attacks on a US consulate in South Africa as well as Jewish institutions.
They were arrested with two other suspected Isis supporters in anti-terror police raids in Guateng over the weekend. Officers also seized items including computers and mobile phones in the raids.
The twins allegedly attempted to travel to Syria last year, and have been under police surveillance for some time, Eyewitness News reported citing prosecution documents. They are accused of plotting the attacks between October 2015 and July 2016.
The twins have been remanded in custody until their next court date on 19 July.
In June, the US State Department warned that terrorist groups were plotting attacks on shopping areas in Johannesburg and Cape Town. "This information comes against the backdrop of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant's public call for its adherents to carry out terrorist attacks globally during the upcoming month of Ramadan," it said in a statement posted on its website.
Security experts David Otto told IBTimes UK following the warning that South Africa's popularity with tourists and the country's support for operations against Isis-affiliated group Boko Haram in Nigeria made it an appealing target for Islamist terror groups.