Police are warning people to stay clear of buying drugs online after an 18-year-old woman was hospitalised after inhaling cannabis oil while using a vaporizer. The teenager is believed to have bought the substance believed to be a cannabidiol – an oil derived from the cannabis plant, and is one of the drug's active ingredients.
Gloucestershire Police said she was rushed to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital yesterday evening, (22 January) and was in a serious condition. They said she could have had a "severe reaction" to the product. Although they could not confirm it had directly caused her illness.
A police spokesman said: "(We) have been made aware that an 18-year-old female was admitted to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital yesterday evening in a serious condition.
"It is believed that the teenager purchased a product online containing Cannabidiol which is described as an oil derived from the cannabis plant. This product can then be smoked or inhaled through a vaporizer, similar to an e-cigarette."
Inspector Mark Duncton said: "Our advice is never to buy or take any kind of drug or drug derivative bought online. These products can pose a very serious danger to your health. You do not know what is in them or what their effects might be."