We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
T-Mobile Galaxy S3 gets its first official Jelly Bean update with AOKP custom ROM with inbuilt features such as butter smooth interface, enhanced notifications, advanced voice recognition with Google Now and more. It must be noted that unlike the stock ROM from Samsung, the AOKP ROM may not be completely bug-free as it is still under development and certain features may not be fully functional.
- The ROM update and the instructions provided in this guide are limited to the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 T999 model only. It is incompatible with other US variants or any other device. You can verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup important personal data (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while performing this Jelly Bean update. You could manually backup the APN settings by going to Settings > More > Mobile Networks. Then, click on the APN in use and note down the settings for each field. This should come in handy if automatic restoration for APN settings fails. Please note that APN settings are very important for the mobile data to work.
- It is mandatory to install ClockworkMod recovery before performing the installation steps for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and will not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this firmware update.
How to Install AOKP Based Jelly Bean Update on T-Mobile Galaxy S3
1. Download the latest version of AOKP ROM for T-Mobile Galaxy S3 from the AOKP official downloads page.
2. Download the Google Apps package from here.
3. Without extracting, copy the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the internal SD card.
4. Now, power off your phone and boot into ClockworkMod recovery through a button sequence. Press and hold down Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the screen powers on, then release them. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a matter of few seconds. In recovery, use the volume buttons to navigate up/down and the home button to select an option.
5. Take a Nandroid Backup of your current ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something goes wrong with the newer ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and on the next screen, hit Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Choose wipe data/factory reset, then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe is complete.
7. Tap install zip from sdcard, then hit choose zip from sdcard. Browse for the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by clicking Yes on the next screen. The ROM will begin installing.
8. After ROM is installed, tap choose zip from sdcard again, then choose the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
9. Wait until Google apps package is installed. Now, hit go back then tap reboot system now to reboot the phone into ParanoidAndroid ROM.
NOTE: To restore your previous ROM if needed, boot into recovery (as given in step 4), choose backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3.
Source: [The Android Soul]