Yaya Toure

Manchester City's Yaya Toure has avoided any FA action after an incident with Norwich City's Ricky Van Wolfswinkel on Saturday which, according to outspoken Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, deserved a three-match ban.

Television pictures appeared to show the 30-year-old midfielder kicking the Canaries striker in the final minutes of City's 0-0 draw at Carrow Road, an infringement which could have attracted an automatic three-match ban.

But since referee Jonathan Moss failed to see the incident during the game, a three-man panel of former referees reviewed video evidence but concluded that the Ivorian international would not face any charges.

"The panel were not of the unanimous decision that it was an act of violent conduct," said an FA statement.

In a press conference on Monday the Chelsea manager -- not known for his close ties with City boss Manuel Pellegrini -- called on the FA to suspend Toure.

"If [Toure] is let off it must be the same for everyone -- if the referee doesn't see it I can do what I want. If he is not suspended the message is clear - you can do what you want, If the FA defends football he has to be suspended," said Mourinho.

Earlier this season, Chelsea striker Fernando Torres escaped FA punishment following an incident with Tottenham's Jan Vertonghen that also went unseen by the referee.

Meanwhile, the FA has charged Cardiff City forward Craig Bellamy for violent conduct following another incident which was not seen by the match officials during their 3-0 defeat against Cardiff. The player now has until 6pm on Tuesday 11 February 2014 to respond to the charge.