The winners of the 12th annual Toy Of The Year (TOTY) Awards were announced on Saturday, at the Toy Industry Hall of Fame Induction ceremony at the Alice Tully Hall in Lincoln Centre, New York.
The event, which was administered by Toy Industry Association (TIA), was attended by more than five hundred toy industry executives and guests from around the globe. The event also honored the industry's leading giants and peers, as well as kicking off the 109th American International Toy Fair to be held from Feb. 12.
The winners were selected from 77 finalists across 11 categories based on inputs from consumers on the ToyAwards.org website, retailers, media and members of the toy industry.
LeapPadTM Explorer by LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. received the coveted "Toy Of The Year" title and was awarded Educational Toy Of The Year and Preschool Toy Of The Year.
The winners list...
- Activity Toy of the Year: LEGO® NINJAGO Fire Temple by LEGO Systems, Inc., for inspiring creative play through various forms of activity
- Boy Toy of the Year: Hot Wheels ® Wall Tracks TM by Mattel, Inc., for developing a toy for boys of any age
- Educational Toy of the Year: LeapPadTM Explorer by LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc.,for an outstanding toy that helps children develop special skills and knowledge through play
- Game of the Year: Angry Birds Knock On Wood Game by Mattel, Inc., for an outstanding children's board, card, CD-ROM or electronic game
- Girl Toy of the Year: Fijit FriendsTM Interactive Figures by Mattel / Radica®, for developing a toy for girls of any age
- Infant/Toddler Toy of the Year: Elefun Busy Ball Popper by Hasbro / Playskool, for developing a toy for infants and toddlers up to 36 months
- InnovativeToy of the Year: Hot Wheels ® Wall Tracks TM by Mattel, Inc., for an outstanding toy that combines innovation and play value.
- Outdoor Toy of the Year: Rockboard® Scooter - Mini by M.Y. Products LLC, for an outstanding toy that is designed for outdoor play
- Preschool Toy of the Year:LeapPadTM Explorer by LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc., for an outstanding toy developed for preschool-aged children (ages 3-5).
- Property of the Year:Angry BirdsTM by Rovio Entertainment Ltd/ Striker Entertainment (Licensing Agent), for recognizing a property that has had the greatest success spreading its brand throughout the industry
- Specialty Toy of the Year:HEXBUG® Nano® Hive TM Habitat Set by nnovation First Labs, Inc., for an outstanding toy that is distributed primarily through specialty toy retailers.