The British embassy in Kuwait has temporarily suspended its services because of a security threat, the Foreign Office has said.
The Foreign Office also advised British organisations and businesses to review their current security arrangement despite acknowledging the threat was directed at the Embassy and warned that services would be suspended until beginning of next week.
"Whilst the threat is targeted against the embassy itself, we cannot rule out threats against other British interests in Kuwait," a statement dated Wednesday, October 19, and posted on the embassy website, said.
"We therefore advise that British organisations and businesses in Kuwait review the security procedures they have in place," it added.
The statement issued by the embassy also warned "There is a general threat from terrorism in Kuwait. Terrorists continue to issue statements threatening to carry out attacks in the Gulf region."
"These include references to attacks on Western including European interests... residential compounds, military, oil, transport and aviation interests," it added.
The embassy is also advising British nationals to exercise caution before sailing in Kuwaiti waters, following what it termed "maritime restrictions" issued by Kuwait last month.
The threat comes as the Prince of Wales is due to visit the country in just two weeks to mark the 50th anniversary of its independence.
"We are keeping security under constant review as we would with any visit and we are taking advice from the Foreign Office, " a Clarence House spokeswoman told Reuters when asked whether the visit would still take place.
About 20,000 British nationals live and work in Kuwait.