A teenager who caught a potentially fatal illness while on a family holiday in Turkey has been awarded a six-figure payout. Bradie Perkins was 13 years old when he and 27 other holidaymakers fell ill at the Holiday Village in Sarigerme in the Dalaman region during October 2010.
The teenager, from Earl Shilton, Leicestershire, had to be rushed to hospital twice suffering from severe diarrhoea, stomach cramps and dehydration. He was diagnosed with E.coli, parasite infection giardiasis and kidney condition haemolytic uraemic syndrome, leaving his kidneys working at two-thirds of their normal function and ending his hopes of a naval career.
His condition was reportedly the result of lax food hygiene at the resort. The family claimed food at the resort was sometimes undercooked and left uncovered and unprotected from flies, insects and cats. They also claimed leftovers were re-used the next day and hot food was often used to top-up cold food.
Bradie, who is now 18 and studying for his A-levels had dreamed of a career in the navy, but was said to be "devastated" when he was told his health condition would prevent him following his dream.
He said: "I knew something was wrong when I became so tired and for the last few days of my holiday I felt like I spent more time in the hotel room than I did with my family actually enjoying myself. I'll have to live with the effects of my illness forever and will always be watching what I eat or worrying about where to go on holiday," he added.
Amandeep Dhillon, from law firm Irwin Mitchell, which represented Bradie, said: "He has missed out on his dream career in the Navy and had his life massively affected at a time when he should have been able to concentrate on being a teenager and completing his studies."
Tour operator TUI UK Ltd trading as First Choice Holidays and Flights Ltd made the cash payout after coming to a settlement weeks before a trial was to begin.